Does PAT testing apply to.....?

The way your posts are worded indicate to me that you are against having your piano's tested, if not then why your initial question, just get it done and accept the bonuses.

How entertaining!
You've worked yourself up into such a state that you've forgotten who posed the original question.
Magnificent.

Sponsored Links
:oops:
OOps my sincere apologies for confusing the posters in this thread and thanks for pointing it out.
Having said that the points I have made are still valid even though I have aimed some in the wrong direction.
The way your posts are worded indicate to me that you are against having your piano's tested, if not then why your initial question, just get it done and accept the bonuses.
1) They aren't his pianos.

2) He didn't seem to be against the idea of PATing:

If someone was hiring digital pianos to private households, would they need to be PAT tested?
As far as I can tell from what I've read, there is no explicit legal requirement for PAT. You are required to ensure that your equipment is safe, and PAT is a well recognised method of proving this.
I do think GRC picking these words out in the second post indicates a reluctance to PAT.
So it specifically isn't required under the regulations...?
Again my apologies.

How entertaining!
You've worked yourself up into such a state that you've forgotten who posed the original question.
Magnificent.
I do a lot of work in the public entertainment field and I'm often required to interface with other peoples kit. Due to the condition to some of it I refuse point blank. Accordingly some peoples total disregard for safety [including PAT] has beome one of my pet hates.
I haven't really worked myself into a state, more a question of lost faith.

I still stand by the quote you have used but to clarify my intent, it was aimed at the OP GRC.

Again I apologise for confusing the 2 posters.

I do think GRC picking these words out in the second post indicates a reluctance to PAT.
dighole.gif

Sponsored Links

How entertaining!
Magnificent.
I do a lot of work in the public entertainment field and I'm often required to interface with other peoples kit. Due to the condition to some of it I refuse point blank. Accordingly some peoples total disregard for safety [including PAT] has beome one of my pet hates.
I haven't really worked myself into a state, more a question of lost faith.

I still stand by the quote you have used but to clarify my intent, it was aimed at the OP GRC.

Again I apologise for confusing the 2 posters.

I do agree fully with your argument, by the way.

OK, without the personal attacks, let's try to sum up the facts.

1. There is no specific statutory requirement in any UK Regulation (Statutory Instrument) that requires PAT Testing. Of anything. Ever.
2. There is a requirement in many UK Regulations for equipment to be maintained in a safe condition. PAT can be a useful addition to a programme of inspection and maintenance to ensure this duty is carried out.
3. A lot of people sell PAT services who do not understand their test results. Some of them don't want to.
4. PAT can give the false impression that equipment is safe to use, when it isn't.
5. PAT can give the false impression that equipment is faulty, when it isn't.
6. PAT is often a contractual requirement, for example for hired equipment.
7. The process of PAT can cause damage to some equipment, leaving it less safe than previously.

Any more?

3. A lot of people sell PAT services who do not understand their test results. Some of them don't want to.
4. PAT can give the false impression that equipment is safe to use, when it isn't.
5. PAT can give the false impression that equipment is faulty, when it isn't.
Agree completely on these points, the idea that some guy with no electrical knowlage other than a short course and no understanding of the equipment in question can pronounce judgement on whether equipment is safe is ludicrous.

But that is what you get from people who regard PAT as nothing more than a box to be ticked and so contract it out to the lowest bidder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back