Does scaffolding tower have to be flush to the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upstairs window frames really need painting. Haven't done it before, but hiring a scaffold tower seems to be a reasonable compromise between cost and safety. E.g. https://www.hss.com/hire/p/mitower-plus

However, the problem is one of the upstairs windows is directly above the front door, which has a big unremovable stone slab above it (a shelter, I guess). Does anyone know if I can safely use the tower with one of the support panels not fitted, on the side that goes up to the wall, to make room for the slab to be within the four sides of the tower? Would also appreciate any other suggestions for getting these windows sorted.

Sponsored Links
Looking at that tower, it all looks modular, so I suspect you could move the cross members above or below your concrete door canopy and get close to the wall.

Or did you mean mean the poles at 45° Towards the bottom (outriggers)?

I often use my tower (steel square job) without them, it does however make it more unstable, so not recommended.

Looking at that tower, it all looks modular, so I suspect you could move the cross members above or below your concrete door canopy and get close to the wall.

Or did you mean mean the poles at 45° Towards the bottom (outriggers)?

I often use my tower (steel square job) without them, it does however make it more unstable, so not recommended.

Yes, the video shows the guy putting the "cross members" on, if that's what they're called, so I'm wondering if all models have them and if they're necessary.

The outriggers may be a separate issue. Are they strongly recommended?

Sponsored Links
The cross members makes the tower stiffer/stronger, you need these, but it looks like you can put them where you need to.

The outriggers will stabilise the sway of the tower, when you are up on the top you are acting as a pendulum.

All depends on your head for heights, height you’ll be working, and how you feel once you’ve put it together.

What surface will it be going on? Grass, gravel, concrete etc.

I would think for a first floor window, that should be More than good enough.

The cross members makes the tower stiffer/stronger, you need these, but it looks like you can put them where you need to.

The outriggers will stabilise the sway of the tower, when you are up on the top you are acting as a pendulum.

All depends on your head for heights, height you’ll be working, and how you feel once you’ve put it together.

What surface will it be going on? Grass, gravel, concrete etc.

I would think for a first floor window, that should be More than good enough.

Right. It will be on concrete.

Even without the outriggers and missing a cross member (if they are supposed to go in every section), it should be safer than any kind of ladder, right?

If you plan to hire it for 3 weeks, scaffolding might work out cheaper (for cash). Personally, I would always prefer to work off scaffolding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back