Accessing window above front door for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upstairs window frames really need painting. Will require sanding and putting on a few coats.
I haven't painted upstairs windows before (DIYer) and get the impression hiring a scaffold tower is the best way to go. However, I can see two problems:

1) How do those with semi-detached/terraced houses use outriggers - aren't the neighbours' fences too close?
2) Of the four upstairs windows that need painting, one of them is above the front door, which has a slab covering on it. It also covers the neighbour's door, so is really wide. From pictures of the scaffold tower, it looks like it will prevent me from accessing this window

What should I do? Thanks

290972792_1090788148485383_4102719273287721789_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Out of curiosity which windows are yours?
Unless I'm very much mistaken ( ...and it wouldn't be the first time :) ), both sets of windows look like uPVC - sanding and painting shouldn't really be necessary!

On the right - actual window is pvc, but outer frame and sill is wood (this is unusual, right?)

Sponsored Links
On the right - actual window is pvc, but outer frame and sill is wood (this is unusual, right?)
Aahh, I see!
I was so focused on the white of the window, I didn't notice/realise you were talking about the brown surrounds to the window - they are pretty well disguised to be fair! :)
That does seem a little unusual!

Something I have done to maintain my soffits - I have removed the sealed units from the double glazing - this might be something to consider (although some glazing is easier to remove than others) and saves the hassle of getting a scaffold tower?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back