Does Short Circuit Damage Car Battery ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the two terminals of a car battery were accidentally short circuited by two leads connected to them would that damage the battery permanently in any way ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, unless the leads came from a source that had built in protection from over current

I would say it depends on how it was shorted and for how long.
i.e. we used to put a short length of thin wire across a battery until it was glowing hot enough to light our ciggies, and it didn't do any harm. But, if i was to leave a spanner lying across the terminals for half an hour, that would be a different matter.

I was thinking in terms of just a momentary short that lasted no more than about 1 - 2 seconds.

Sponsored Links
If it was just a brief touch, it may or may not, have affected one or two cells without too much damage.
Anything longer than that, and I would be considering a new battery may be required.
Did the leads feel hot after contacting?

I didn't notice any heat but the short circuit went through a fuse and the fuse blew out.

It would have just went directly across the fuse, due to the nature of the short circuit. It would be the same effect as if two leads attached to the battery terminal accidentally touched momentarily. Just wondering if that causes damage to a car battery.

A prolonged heavy discharge from a direct short circuit could theoretically distort the internal battery plates, but in your case I’d seriously doubt it.
After all, a huge drain from a starter motor is exactly what a battery has to deal with.
John:)
Edited......Never mind the fag lighters of old!
J.

Last edited:
Edited......Never mind the fag lighters of old!
J.
What do you mean "of old" don't new cars have them. My youngest is 2006 which has one. I won't be buying a new car if they are a thing of the past LOL

What do you mean "of old" don't new cars have them. My youngest is 2006 which has one. I won't be buying a new car if they are a thing of the past LOL
They're now optional extra with ashtrays.
They charge you more if you want the "smokers pack" installed.

Damaged my wife's bread knife when I shorted the terminals to see whether it was flat. She made me buy a multimeter after that!

Sponsored Links
Back