Does the washer go on the bolt end or nut end?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I took delivery of a couple of beams that need bolting together. And 1 washer came with each bolt. I googled it and opinions vary. So has anyone got any experience/opinion of this? cheers

Sponsored Links
I would put the washer on the bit I was going to turn, you don't want gouges and scratches on your new beams!

Nut end surely, I wouldn’t have even thought to check (rightly or wrongly!)

Assuming you have good access to the nut and the bolt can be kept still then deffo the nut end. Even if you have no option but to turn the bolt end (as the nut end doesn't have much room to turn the spanner) then most bolts have a circular profile under the head to stop you gouging the steelwork anyway so I'd still put the washer under the nut. I'm not a builder though, but a mechanical engineer / machine designer who has been doing up nuts and bolts best part of 50 years :giggle:

Sponsored Links
Nut end surely, I wouldn’t have even thought to check (rightly or wrongly!)
I probably wouldnt have thought about it much if I was in rush or there if it wasnt holding up so much weight. Cheers

Assuming you have good access to the nut and the bolt can be kept still then deffo the nut end. Even if you have no option but to turn the bolt end (as the nut end doesn't have much room to turn the spanner) then most bolts have a circular profile under the head to stop you gouging the steelwork anyway so I'd still put the washer under the nut. I'm not a builder though, but a mechanical engineer / machine designer who has been doing up nuts and bolts best part of 50 years :giggle:
Thanks. I assume its important that the other end doesnt have a washer? Or they would have included 2? Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back