Does this cable need replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the floors on the downstairs of the house has been sinking and today I decided to investigate. The problem is due to the mortar which secures the joists into the bricks failing which has caused it to sink, it just needs jacking up and re bonding so not a major issue.

However I am not at all happy at the state of the electrics with wires dangling free in the foundations and not secured to any joists I can sort all of that out, but one of the cables going to the plug socket is rested on a floorboard and it appears to have damaged the outside of the insulation.

On this picture it looks like it has insulation has failed but it hasn't as it is smooth to touch.

This gives a better view.

The problem is I don't know what to do, I can't simply replace the cable as it means messing in the CU and I am not qualified to that, as there is a lot of slack in the cable I was thinking the best thing do might be to simply move the socket some where higher up (it is in a stupid place) but towards the right and cut back the damaged cable.

As I understand it I cannot simply just cut back a bit of wire and join a new one on as any junctions need to be be accessible and of course it won't be if it is under the floorboards.

I can't even tell if the cable is damaged, it just looks marked more than anything what do people on here think? Of course I will remove the offending floorboard and cut out a groove so that the board is no longer touching the cable.

Sponsored Links
The problem is due to the mortar which secures the joists into the bricks failing which has caused it to sink, it just needs jacking up and re bonding so not a major issue.
So the joists are bearing on mortar, not brick? Check in the Building Forum, but I don't think that's a good idea.

I can't simply replace the cable as it means messing in the CU and I am not qualified to that,
So is this the first socket on the circuit?

As I understand it I cannot simply just cut back a bit of wire and join a new one on as any junctions need to be be accessible and of course it won't be if it is under the floorboards.
You can't replace the cable because it comes from the CU?

Is the CU on show?

Need to ask about how best to bond the joists but that is for the building section. The joists are resting on brick but there is no cement holding it in, so when you walk across it the joists move a good inch or so.It looks like it just needs jacking up and repointing.

I can't quite see where the cable goes, but it seems to go to the cupboard under the stairs where the CU is, which suggests this is the first socket on the ring.

If you don't want to work inside the CU you could add a socket in that cupboard, or an FCU for a light if there isn't one.

But wherever the cable goes you'll need to track it down.

Or add an extra socket to that wall?

Sponsored Links
Yea maybe a bit of rubbing on the sheath too but it's certainly not broken through the sheath

Thanks I think I might just leave it, I have just had a good feel of the cable and it is all smooth, will need to secure the cable to the joists though and cut out a notch in the floorboard so no further rubbing can happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back