Does this dimmer pull cord work with this light ?

Sponsored Links
Depends what lamps you put in the light,
Dimmer needs 50 watt minimum, so total of the 3 lamps needs to be that, so minimum 20w G9 halogen lamps should be fine.
You will not likely be able to use LED G9 lamps.
Bare in mind G9 halogen lamps are due to be phased out.

Dimmer said:
Easy to install. Chrome / white interchangeable covers. Loading capacity 230-240V, dims 50w-175W tungsten lamps only

lamp said:
Recommended bulb 3 x 28W G9 eco halogen capsule

Halogen capsule normally have tungsten filaments.

3 x 28 = 84 and 84 is betwen 50 to 175 so wattage is OK

Assuming lamps are 230 volt then it should work.

If you are removing the ceiling rose and replacing it with the lamp then you might need some terminal strip to join wires.

Thanks rocky and bernard, so if I don't use G9 in the future is there only going to be LED to choose from for this light?

Also, can a normal pull cord be used instead? If not why not?

Sponsored Links
so if I don't use G9 in the future is there only going to be LED to choose from for this light?

The dimmer manufacturers say it will only work with tungsten lamps. It is most unlikely it would work with LED lamps ( they have a driver in them which may not be compatible with the dimmer )

A normal ON-OFF switch can be used with any type of lamp

Ok understood. When are halogens due to be phased about? Are we talking months/years ?

https://www.lyco.co.uk/advice/the-light-bulb-phase-out-schedule/

"""" 1st September 2018 Phase-out of non-directional halogen bulbs (i.e. candle, GLS, globe, golf ball).

"""" Special-purpose items such as fridge and oven lamps, halogen capsules and linear R7s bulbs are untouched by these bans, as they cannot be adequately replaced by other technologies.

There is still some debate about the the lamps that are a halogen capsule inside an outer glass globe as the whether these can be sold as halogen capsule lamps

Also the whole idea of the quartz is that it is so hot the tungsten can't migrate to it, so you should not it theory use a dimmer with a quartz lamp, I know many do, but you should expect a short life when a dimmer is used with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back