Does this Earth look a bit puny ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

My eldest daughter got married a couple of weeks ago and has just moved into a new rented house. Her fella is in the RAF and they now live in a forces married quarter, just down the road, so their house has been looked after and well maintained.

When they first moved in and i was helping them to do stuff like plumb the washing machine in , etc i couldn't help but have a bit of a nosey, especially at their Consumer Uit installation , mostly because I have just had mine replace and i wanted to look at hers for comparison, i note that she also has a Memera 2000 CU.

The first thing that struck me was that there seems to be two other feeds from the service head, probably to the neighbours houses .

There were a couple of earthing clamps in various locations that had come loose over the years which i cleaned up and tightened ( under the sink) , I also thought that the main earth from the CU to the service cable looked a bit on the puny side so would welcome any comments from the resident experts, (i've not touched it).

The only other thing that i did was to go around and check all of their wall socket outlets with my RCD tester, probably more because it cost me a few quid and i won't get much chance to use it that often :)

One thing that i would like to add is that I think it looks very unproffessional when tradesmen leave all of their waste behind , such as copper pipe off cuts, cable off-cuts and insulation strippings , etc, etc... a lack of attention to detail imho. In my job I can't afford to leave nothing behind when I've been working in on of the closed Aircraft compartments in case it becomes loose and fouls one of the controls, or shorts something out electrically.

I know you guys like piccy's so here is one for you to comment on :

Regards

Sponsored Links
The main earth conductor between the met & cu looks to be 16mm, so is fine. But as you have correctly said the link from incommer lead sheath to the met does seem to be undersized, but may still comply ;)

I wonder why whoever put in what looks like a DP isolation switch, never put the neutral through it?

Is that an over stripped sheath on the T/E beside the earth on the top of cu?

Does look a bit bodgy how the neutrals have been sheathed & connected, pure lazyness to leave the block hanging.

As for picking up the waste, it never fails to amaze me how some people will spend more time & effort to hide the waste rather than sweep/vacume it up & bin it.

Sponsored Links
I looked at the black wire and thought it was going into an earth block, second look it is a neutral block with the earth going behind it.

Nothing the electrician can do with this, it is DNO property and the other 2 supplies rely upon the small earth wire as part of their earthing system. To disconnect it to replace it will need the other 2 supplies isolating first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back