old looking earth spikes?

plugwash said:
a suppressor between the two lines will protect anything that is ONLY connected to the lines.

modems are supposed to have pretty high degrees of isolation, not enough to withstand a direct strike (but i very much doubt the master socket arrestors would either) but certainly enough to resist most spikes caused by lighting in the area.

They're not that good! My sister saw the lightning strike the tree in next-door's garden, and it took out her modem. The phone line wasn't directly involved (that's in front of the house), it was either induced voltage or voltage gradient in the Earth that did it.

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
HDRW said:
securespark said:
But these GPO earths were not rodded, they came off a water pipe.
Not necessarily - mine has a rod beside the front door, below the point of entry of the phone cable - the water pipe is at the other end of the house.

It's disconnected now, but there used to be a single strand bare copper wire clamped to it, running to the "GPO" terminal box inside the house. When he disconnected it the BT engineer said that it was a good quality Earth and that I could use it as such for an amateur radio antenna system - I've never tried to measure it to find out if it is a decent Earth or not.

Cheers,

Howard

Thanks, Howard,

I was beginning to think I had dreamt my GPO Apprenticeship.!

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back