Does this quote sound right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just moved into a vacant property. There was a gas leak at the main valve, which emergency gas service fixed but said whole system needs checking over before it can be used. We got a guy round who was great and identified the pipes that need replacing. We also decided to replace boiler as it is way past its prime.

I've been recommended the Vallient 938 at a cost of £2550 including boiler and relevent parts. On top of this I've been quoted £2400 for labour costs for boiler conversation. The gas meter is at the front of the house, downstairs and the new boiler will be in the 1st floor rear extension on the other side of the house.

Looking online it seems the cost of the boiler is around £1600.

So my questions are: would you expect the extra relevent parts to cost almost £1000, and is £2400 a reasonable quote for labour? I realise that due to coronavirus there may be a premium due to risk etc but want to make sure all the numbers sound right.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A tradesman will never charge you the online price for a boiler or any other part. He has to pay to collect it or have it delivered, and that does not just mean petrol cost. He has to insure and maintain his van and all kinds of other costs. Looking ahead he will have to absorb any maintenance cost for problems under warranty.

Have you just got the one quote?

So my questions are: would you expect the extra relevent parts to cost almost £1000, and is £2400 a reasonable quote for labour?
That all depends on what the extra parts are, but it's not difficult for parts to get to another £1000.

If it's being moved to a new location at the very least there will be a significant amount of copper tube required, the boiler will require a flue, controls such as a programmer/thermostat, a filter, flushing and inhibitor chemicals, all the other fixings, solder, flux, and probably plenty more.

Thanks both.

Winston - ordinarily we would have multiple people round for multiple quotes but during the coronavirus crisis we don't want to unnecessarily increase the the people were exposed to. This guy is local and we'll reviewed by our neighbours. So happy to risk it.

Flameport - yeah that makes sense, it's a three bed house and we need a whole new copper pipe network, new flue etc. I guess I can see all of that costing £1000. Do you think £2500 for labour sounds reasonable too?

Sponsored Links
Why not fit better controls to expiring boiler
What make and model of boiler do you have at present

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back