Boiler quotes - general question on breakdown of items...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This isn't an "Is £X reasonable for Y" type question, more a general thing about what to expect from a quote.

Bit surprised (although maybe I shouldn't be?) to receive a quote, post-house visit, from a large-ish company for a replacement boiler that includes no breakdown of the costs at all.

Was kind of expecting it to be split at at least some of top-ish level e.g.:

* New X boiler
* Additional costs for extra flue package
* Pipework, fittings, MagnaClean, boiler corrosion inhibitors, treatments etc.
* Labour
* VAT

...just that kind of stuff, not down to the individual items (as obviously assumptions are made).

As it stands I've got a quote that seems quite a lot - don't really know if it is, but it's hard to gauge.

I've queried for a breakdown, but been told it's not possible due the number of parts involved.
I can see that, I suppose, to a degree, just wondered if it's normal.

This is the first quote I've had, so far, so I'm not exactly versed in boiler quotes ;)

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Do you ask a restaurant for a breakdown of your dinner?

I tend not not to spend much on dinner - the amount makes a difference.

So - it's *not* common to breakdown quotes then?

It's purely a question, not some soap-boxing statement.

At the moment it doesn't actually specify the boiler make/model - that was in a chat at the quote. If I get other quotes, I'm not really sure how I'll compare them...

It depends. We do, but only because I'm too busy to separate out the system of pricing.

Ultimately though the figures will be meaningless as the price is the price.

Sponsored Links
Some installers would quote full retail on the equipment and make the labour very reasonable. Others will charge you what they pay for the equipment and inflate the labour. You can't mix and match so there is no advantage to a breakdown of the quote. All that matters is the bottom line and the quality of install

OT depends. We do, but only because I'm to busy to separate or the system of pricing.

Ultimately though the figures will be meaningless as the price is the price.

I guess, partly.

I mean, this company seems to have a good reputation, they're fitting a boiler that my half-arsed and non-knowledgeable Googling suggests is good, they're including stuff like a MagnaClean etc. They use separate people to do the roof (where the flue is going through) etc. All sounds...good.

However, none of that is listed in the quote - that was just mentioned in a discussion.
I've no idea if it's really expensive, and if I get another quote I don't know how to compare them without any comparison of at least some of the details...

As has been said, figures are meaningless.

Bottom line price for the same boiler and the quality of the work is the most important thing.

Some independants do break it all down. I don't as you just get into meaningless conversatios about X selling Y cheaper than Z.
As said, it is the package that counts. However, I always specify significant parts, obviously including the boiler, and I think it is reasonable an sensible for a potential customer to expect that. In fact, certainly before starting, it is ridiculous to accept the quote based on a chat. Everyone remembers the conversation differently.:sneaky:

As above really. You don't need a breakdown on what costs what, but you should have a list of the agreed work. Otherwise when you get to the end and think, 'oh I thought you was going to do X', you have something written down you've both agreed.

My estimates always follow the format
"To carry out the following works
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
The cost will be £xxxx.xx+vat"

In my experience, customers who want things breaking down to constituent parts tend to be a lot of hassle all through the job

My estimates always follow the format
"To carry out the following works
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
The cost will be £xxxx.xx+vat"

In my experience, customers who want things breaking down to constituent parts tend to be a lot of hassle all through the job

Depends what you mean by the granularity of "constituent parts" though?
The sort of thing I was (maybe mistakenly, by the general sound of things) expecting was the level in the first post - that's not really down to the joint :D.

Part of the reason for me querying this is that the company itself makes quite a big deal of supplying the boiler very cheaply as a result of bulk buying - I've no reason to disbelieve this at all, but there's no direct evidence of it in the quote.
I guess I don't really see the reason for *not* including that.

Also: a confession ;) . Now I read over it again (I did read it more than once!) there is actually a list of the boiler model, and reference (if a bit vague) to the MagnaClean etc., so that's much more than just being based on a chat.

I suppose, in general, it just wasn't what I was expecting - I have nothing to base a comparison on - but if that's the normal run of things.

YES, (Although you DONT actually need ask as its listed), ie starter, main, sweet, drinks, etc + vat gratuities. So why cant a job for a CH System be boiler, extras, labour, vat, etc. It can be as broad as you want it to be.

YES, (Although you DONT actually need ask as its listed), ie starter, main, sweet, drinks, etc + vat gratuities. So why cant a job for a CH System be boiler, extras, labour, vat, etc. It can be as broad as you want it to be.
For the reason stated above. As long as you know the cut of the steak and that it comes with chips and the price, then this is what is what you need to know. It makes no difference if the chef is charging 30 pence for the steak and £25 for the chips or the other way round.

It would be nice to see individual constituents if there are quality differences between possible parts I suppose. Controllers, TRVs, make of filter that type of thing....big differences in quality and cost between different bits. If those bits are "extras" then you may fee, you want to specify them rather than have lumped together, I would....

If they don't state the make of boiler, motorised valves, trvs, programmers or other major components, then go elsewhere. Most decent installers do that. Along with where the flue will go (I usually put " as discussed")

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back