Magnaclean quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, thanks for listening and helping in advance.

I just got a quote from a British Gas engineer (via a call out as part of my HomeCare agreement) regarding a potential installation of Magnaclean.

I was quoted £256. Is this good or a rip-off? I know the actual product costs around £80-£100.

The boiler is 13 years old and is a Ariston EuroCombi A/23 MFFI and has been a real noisy beggar of late with the radiators being hot up top and cold at the bottom.

I asked the engineer whether I should have the radiators flushed and cleaned and he said it is very costly, lengthy to do and can be very messy so said the Magnaclean is the best way forward.

So should I stump up the cash? I've heard it is only worth it if the boiler has a heat plate exchanger, which I think, my one has.

PS The System Pressure Gauge is just under 1 at the moment, is that something to be concerned about too?

Again thank you any any help you can offer, it is very much appreciated. Ta much. K

Sponsored Links
Magnacleans are very good piece of kit, they are pretty easy your fit if your handy.

I would want £160 inc fitting and vat.

Graham,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Does your £160 charge include the Magnaclean itself or would I have to buy that myself prior to install?

Thanks again,

K

I'd charge more than GPlumb, but then I'd want loads of milage on top :D

If the signs are as you say with rads hot at the top and cold at the bottom, then a Magnaclean won't do it. It will help once the system is clean.

It is a messy job, but then there's lots of messy jobs if you need them. Cheapest is to drain the system, then take each rad off, take it outside, and flush through with a hose pipe. When it's all back together, put some cleaner in the system, refill and run for a couple of weeks and drain again. Then fit the magnaclean and refill.

Cleaning the rads will take at least all day. Find a friend or two and make a weekend of it. Put plastic sheets over the carpets, and dust sheets on top of that. Plug each end of the rad before you move it. The stuff inside is BLACK!!!!

Sponsored Links
£160 inc magnaclean. Maybe a little bit more if access is less than great.

Thats cheap i know but its not hard. Draining down would take longer than it would to fit it.

In all honesty you could maybe do it yourself, download the instructions from the magnaclean site and see what you think.

BG are never gonna be the cheapest.

A magnaclean is an excellent product and benefits any system whether is has a plate H/E or not.

The symptoms you describe ie. cool rads and cold at the bottom will not be solved by adding a magnaclean, this product is a prevention measure and not a solution to poor rads.

A flush and removal of any blockages could be the best solution along with the M/C being fitted.

as for being messy.... Scottish Gas men all have dust sheets and should use them to protect your property so there will be no mess left afterwards!

SG will never be the cheapest but will give you a good back up when things go wrong and a lifetime warranty on blockages in your system whilst being on the homecare plan IF you have a powerflush done.

Your pressure guage should be between 1 - 1.5 when the boiler is cold and switched off. To fill up look in the FAQ's for filling loops.

Depends how bad it is SDGM, if you have circulation it will eventually clean it.

I just fitted one on a 20 year old system, the water is as clean as a whistle after 6weeks.

The new Magnaclean TwinTech is even better as it has a filter as well.

Price is supposed to be about the same.

we charge £150 supply and fit if straight forward

then £20 per bottle of chemical( your x100, x200, x400 and x800 stuff)

with a freezing kit it would take 20 mins to fit !! (with good access)

No draining required as you have a sealed system. Release chs pressure, cut it in and top up the pressure.

£50 labour if you supply the magna-clean.

But you have to be 6 miles from my office!

Dave

Magnaclean alone doesn't clean a system. I would have quoted you powerflush with magnaclean.

We would change about £84 to visit and diagnose the problem in our local area and then about £120 to supply and fit the Magnaclean making £204 in total.

We actually did just that a few months ago after a lady had a G-W 30 cxi fitted including power flushing.

She had a problem and the warranty visit told her it needed power flushing first and then they would replace the Main heat exchanger!

Of course that was a muppet diagnosis and before he said that he changed the CH sensor which of course made no difference!

When she called me it was immediately obvious that the plate was blocked and I cleaned that for her. Whilst the system was pretty clean anyway I still recommended the Magnaclean rather than another power flush as that was cheaper!

She was very worried at first but now she is very comfortable with my abilities and has cancelled her cover and will just call me if there is ever any problem.

Tony

A blocked plate h/exch on a gw cxi will trigger the F14 code. Was it BG who wrongly diagnosed?

a blocked plate h/exch on a gw cxi will trigger the F14 code. Was it BG who wrongly diagnosed?

Well it was not BG who were such muppets!

Exactly who really came is less clear!

It was under warranty but in addition she had a maintenance contract with Homeserve !

Now Homeserve are now owned by the same group but I think that there are also dedicated ( and better ) Glowworm/Vaillant staff whose activities can overlap!

All I can say is that she does not know exactly who came but whoever they were she has lost faith in them when I discovered that they could not diagnose such a simple fault as a blocked plate !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back