Heating switching on and off, cold radiators, magnaclean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British Gas replaced the heat exchanger as it was leaking. I have a glowworm swiftboiler.
Now my heating is back working but not 100%. When I put the heating on I can see the flame (through the window in the boiler) go on for about ten seconds then switch off, go on then off etc. Some of the radiators are very slow to heat up, and are not hot all over, and other radiators get hot straight away and stay hot. British Gas has recommended a course of Magnaclean for £256 - will this make a difference, and is there anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
sounds like either a temp sensor or circulation problem, if circulation could be pump, or blockage - magnaclean may help

If it has got to the point of a partial blockage then Magnaclean is just a filter, it won't make a significant difference.

You need a water test analysis and probably that will lead to a Powerflush.

By all means fit a Magnaclean once you have done that!

Sponsored Links
I am of the opinion that whenever a new HE is fitted to any boiler the system should be flushed immediately, otherwise you could be invalidating any warranty on the new HE.

After all what is the difference in fitting a new boiler and flushing out and fitting a new HE?

The flush on either is to protect the new HE.

£256 for a Magnaclean to be fitted :eek: Is that the solid gold version :rolleyes: :LOL:

Agree with Simon, a magnaclean is not designed to solve this problem, but just to help keep a system clean after a proper flush and cleanse has been carried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back