Boiler quotes - general question on breakdown of items...

Actually they do - mentioned a bit further up that I missed that (not sure how, but I did - it's buried in smaller print, so that'll have to be my excuse).

Also, they do mention where the flue will go etc.

I think this does basically follow a statement of agreed work really, as mentioned above as the typical things you'd expect to see; I've not had anyone in to quote on something like this before.

From what I can tell the company has a good reputation - kind of expected to pay a premium for that, a bit, which is fine by me as I just want something installed and maintained from someone reliable, rather than cheap as a priority. Whatever ball-park figure I had in my head though, this seemed like quite a bit more - hence expecting to see the breakdown on where the amounts were allocated so I could at least understand it. However, as above, I've literally nothing to compare it against - after some Googling about for other people's quotes for the same boiler in similar-ish installs it does seem to be in the ball-park.

Sponsored Links
Why not get a few more quotes in so you can compare it? That way you will see if it is reasonable or not.

OK. So you hit the internet to grumble about the lack of detail on your quote without actually reading it properly... I have never had my house re roofed but I'm sure that it will cost more than I would guess bearing in mind that I know nothing about roofing

OK. So you hit the internet to grumble about the lack of detail on your quote without actually reading it properly...

I wasn't grumbling about anything. I "hit the internet" to ask about whether it was normal to not see a breakdown of a quote into priced elements. Turns out that it is in this area - I didn't know that - I think I've been pretty clear that I knew nothing of what the "norm" was in this respect, never had such a quote, and have made no value judgement on it. Hence the question. You're right in that I didn't read through all of the detail properly - I said that myself - but then that wasn't really what I was asking about...

I have never had my house re roofed but I'm sure that it will cost more than I would guess bearing in mind that I know nothing about roofing

But you would have a cost in your mind? That's all I said in this respect - again, no value judgement, no grumble. I literally, at this point, have no quote to compare against - I was just asking what you would normally expect to see in a quote so I could understand where the various costs are incurred. That's all.

I think I've been polite, at least I meant to be, so I'm not really understanding your response. But, ehh, OK ;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why not get a few more quotes in so you can compare it? That way you will see if it is reasonable or not.

Yeah, will do, I was just wondering, being someone knowing little about this area, how to really compare them (other than on the overall price). Reputation/recommendations of the company is key, I guess, I'd just have liked to understand the constituent bits and compared them.

Last edited:
Well why don't you ask the guy who produced the quote to produce a quote to your requirements? There is little that we can do for you here since you seem confused about what your quote includes... Jesus! Two pages over a smegging quote!

Well why don't you ask the guy who produced the quote to produce a quote to your requirements? There is little that we can do for you here since you seem confused about what your quote includes... Jesus! Two pages over a smegging quote!

Literally no idea where your aggression is coming from - but, hey, it's an internet forum, so I'll leave it there. To your first point, if you read back, you'll see I did just that, and that prompted the question, to the second, well...OK, whatever. Purely on the responses here, you seem to be the sort of chap that likes to have the last word, so I'll leave that space for the inevitable...

Thanks for the useful responses here nonetheless :) .

Last edited:
You've had a lot of responses but then announced that you then read the quote properly and what you needed was there,right in front of you. I guess that you just like typing.
No aggression, just bemusement.

It would be nice to see individual constituents if there are quality differences between possible parts I suppose. Controllers, TRVs, make of filter that type of thing....big differences in quality and cost between different bits. If those bits are "extras" then you may fee, you want to specify them rather than have lumped together, I would....

I would imagine that most guys do what I do - Quote for the specification and suggest options for an additional fee. A regular example would be a quote for a 28Kw, with a fee for an upgrade to 33kw. But the additional fee would be for the wpork and materials including, possibly, a pipe size upgrade, but the add. fee would not be broken down any further - although the bigger pipe sizes would be mentioned, mainly for marketing an anti unfair comparison purposes

Yep. When someone rings and says 'they are collecting quotes' I take that literally, gives the game away.

It implies they don't care about anything but the price, and that means our extra efforts are worthless.

Was at one today.... Multi million pound house.... £700K worth of cars in the drive. Commercial heating system in the garage - 25 years old and fooked. Customer talking about the set up in his West Country retreat.

Baulking at the £21K estimate to bring his wreck of a system up to date and save him a fortune in LPG over his Randall 102 infested Open flued system.

Tell you what - I'll add another half a day onto tally so I can give you options 5 and 6 shall I - sigh. :LOL:

Still - will be an interesting job if it comes off.

I cannot see the point of any quote not stating the make and model of the boiler.

But its always the total price that matters and not individual aspects.

Myself, I always put the boiler price ( cost + £20 to collect and deliver ) plus installation. The installation price includes installation parts, labour, overheads, even a small profit.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back