Does this quote to build my bathroom shower seem too cheap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received my first quote for building a stand up tile shower, roughly 30"x60" with 8' ceilings, in my second floor condo, pictured below. I'm either out of touch with what this should cost, or this is too good to be true. As it says, it does not include plumbing or drywall work, but I figured the build and tile work would be more. Total for the pre-fab pan option and floor tile is around $2000, with the mud pan being $1000 more.

How does this sound do you? Does a mud pan offer any benefit over a pre-fab pan?

View media item 87929
View media item 87930

Sponsored Links
This is a UK site and the cost of air tickets to come over and fit your bathroom means that our estimates are likely to be quite high!

It does appear to be a little cheap for a licensed contractor's quote - esp. as the shower and bathroom floor is included - its not clear if costs for the pan AND the tile for a mud pan are both included.

If there is a vanity and a WC to be lifted and shifted then it is very cheap.

Do you intend a shower enclosure?

Is the intention to lay the tile on the ply of the bathroom sub-floor, or will they fix backer board as a tile base?

A mud pan and floated mud walls are considered the premium for wet tile work but a "pre-fab" tile pan/base, & boarded walls could work perfectly well. Dont allow dry wall, only backer board screwed to the studs.

The shower valve can be left in place with the bottom/spout port plugged.

Many tilers and general contractors will do the whole job from demo to finish trim.

Perhaps go to johnbridge.com (the best tile forum on the web) or terrylove.com, he's up near you.

Sponsored Links
Instead of using a plastic or stone shower tray in the western USA its considered a prime job to build up the shower base with sand and cement - mud.
If the walls are also floated in mud then it can add $1000's to the price of a job.

The pan being the usual term for the shower base or tray.

To confuse matters: when concrete pouring the concrete is often referred to as mud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back