Does your car have a dipstick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And if not, do you miss it?

As part of my general internet browsing on cars the other day, I came to realise an increasing amount of cars no longer have an oil dipstick for the owner/driver to use to check the oil level. Rather, they have an electronic sensor that advises if oil needs added and/or of there's an issue. Some of these cars do still have a dipstick, however it's hidden to an extent and designed for use by those servicing the car.

This lack of dipstick seems to divide opinion. Some say 'so what?' and those people appear to be predominantly made up of those who don't look under the bonnet from one year to the next, leaving everything to the garage. Others are quite angry about it, saying it's essentially an excuse to stop owners being able to directly check oil levels, meaning increased trips to the garage. Manufacturers state it's more accurate and avoids owners doing something that could damage the engine e.g. putting the wrong type of oil in.

I'd prefer to have a dipstick in my car as part of me thinks what will happen if the electronic sensor fails? I like checking the levels myself every couple of weeks.

Where are you on this?

Sponsored Links
Interesting, when I next buy a new car, probably in a couple of years or so I will be lookng for a dipstick and will walk away if I can't see one.
What about the salesperson? Are they excluded? ;)

Sponsored Links
does it really cost that much to install/desing one in? How is the owner to check that the oil change he paid for, resulted in new oil going in.
This was brought up on one of the sites I found where this was being discussed.

One guy (can't remember his make of car, might have been BMW) said his car prompted him to add 1 litre of oil. So he did this. Next time driving, the car then advised too much oil was in the system so to put his mind at rest he then had to visit the dealership.

Some people that prefer having the dipstick are being referred to as luddites. I don't view myself in that way, I get that things advance/progress. However you won't convince me the ever increasing direction of cars becoming more like mobile electronic devices is a good thing in some areas. I prefer having a dipstick, a proper handbrake and knobs (not a touchscreen) for things like the AC!

Not only the dipstick, what about no spare wheel, not even a spacesaver, also far to many electronics on cars, a friend of mine got stuck in some flood water (not that deep) but buggered the electrics, knowing I haad a 4wd asked for a tow as was near me, so I hooked him up good job I had some strong mooring chain in the back, tried to pull him out ,had to use L/R his electronic handbrake had failed in the on position, what a load of crap is it to much trouble to pull on a handbrake these days!

Interesting, when I next buy a new car, probably in a couple of years or so I will be lookng for a dipstick and will walk away if I can't see one.
Well, I’ve heard of plenty of reasons why someone won’t buy a particular make/model of car - wrong colour, boot size, uncomfortable, poor vision, lack of performance, no a/c, high insurance group, poor fuel economy, lack of dealerships nearby etc etc but to refuse to buy because it’s got no dipstick? Are you for real?

Manufacturers may now step back from all electric gizmos, as the UK has now told them that they would be held reliable if a car is involved in an accident whilst in 'totally auto self drive hands free mode'.

Well, I’ve heard of plenty of reasons why someone won’t buy a particular make/model of car - wrong colour, boot size, uncomfortable, poor vision, lack of performance, no a/c, high insurance group, poor fuel economy, lack of dealerships nearby etc etc but to refuse to buy because it’s got no dipstick? Are you for real?
I'd be seriously tempted to look for something else. I like being able to check my own oil level rather than completely relying on a sensor, which can fail. It's maybe fine when a car is newer and still under warranty etc, however as these cars (with ever increasing electrics/sensors) get older, the ability for owners to check stuff themselves is increasingly being removed.

Suppose some call it progress, not sure I do.

My car (2008) has low tyre pressure warning. It's never worked right from day one! Imagine if they took the ability to inflate/deflate your own tyres away, insisting you need to 'take it to the dealer' to ensure the pressures are right.

I'd be seriously tempted to look for something else. I like being able to check my own oil level rather than completely relying on a sensor, which can fail.
I take it you don’t have auto wipers/lights, central locking, ABS, SRS, fuel injection, electric windows, air bags, servo brakes, power steering, catalytic converter and prefer conventional points and condenser ignition and to operate the choke yourself on cold mornings then?

Last edited:
I had a Jaguar XF, it had no dip stick (apart from me). It was a carry on to check the oil, you had pop the bonnet, put ignition on, scroll through the menu etc. By the time I had done all that, I could have done it the old fashioned way. And remember, the bonnet still had to be popped and closed manually.
I would rather have had a dipstick and been able to look at the condition of the oil as I was checking the level.

I had a Jaguar XF, it had no dip stick (apart from me). It was a carry on to check the oil, you had pop the bonnet, put ignition on, scroll through the menu etc. By the time I had done all that, I could have done it the old fashioned way. And remember, the bonnet still had to be popped and closed manually.
I would rather have had a dipstick and been able to look at the condition of the oil as I was checking the level.

Plus the next garage you use, may not actually change the oil during a service.

Dipsticks on here will never know.

All cars should have a dip stick :cool:

And who ever dreamt up the practice of putting indicators into wing mirrors should be stood up against the nearest wall and

The Transam has no choke either manual or automatic :cool:

I take it you don’t have auto wipers/lights, central locking, ABS, SRS, fuel injection, electric windows, air bags, servo brakes, power steering, catalytic converter and prefer conventional points and condenser ignition and to operate the choke yourself on cold mornings then?
One of my cars is over 50yrs old and has none of those thing and does indeed have points, condenser and manual choke! It's a beautiful thing to drive on a sunny summer day. Rather scary when braking though, and the lack of modern safety features encourages a more circumspect driving style. All my other vehicles do have dipsticks and as others have said I do like to be able to easily double check the level and state of oil directly. I once had a Z4 which was electronic level indication only, and it was a bit of a pain.

Sponsored Links
Back