Doesn't take long

S

SammyInnit

My van has been broken into 5 times since I've had it (5 years). After the first time and they managed to get away with some tools I've never left anything of value in there. After a few more return visits they've realised there's no chance of them finding anything in there and haven't been back for a long time.

Got myself a pickup about 3 months back now with an armadillo roll top cover which I've always left closed because of the rain but I've always left the back gate unlocked, knowing sooner or later someone would want to get in there to again find nothing of value.

Sure enough, just been out to take the Mrs to the train station in an area known for thieves so thought best lock it as I'd left a cordless work light in there from this afternoon.

Put the key in and the barrell just rolled, on closer inspection you can see where someone's had something in there like a screwdriver.

Clearly thick as **** because they probably never got in as it was always unlocked - can't pick open a lock that's already open. And they didn't even think to try the handle first. Says a lot about the sort of people they are.

From now on I'm going to leave the roll top open I think, rather than risk anyone else trying to do more damage. They can't nick the pickup as they couldn't get it off the drive and I've got diskloks on all the motors, and that one is blocked in by my run about.

I've recently had correspondence from my MP and the Home office about van and tool thefts as I've been complaining about it a friend of mine has a petition running on the gov website to try and get more done about it. I've thought for all the good it's done it's never going to be enough. As it stands the home office see it as what they're doing is enough by the resolve they can offer. So it might as well be doing nothing.

Sponsored Links
Am sorry, really sucks when it happens. I learned too never to leave anything in the van when got broken into in North London outside my flat when I lived there. My neighbour now, a roofer, doesn't even lock his van anymore, figures it's cheaper not have to fix busted locks or smashed windows.

I think too that MP's, police, whatever just don't consider it important crime. Like burglary, shoplifting etc. All covered by insurance and there's just not the manpower anymore to cover this kind of thing in earnest.

Stolen tools ? Some one buys em

Seen pics of tools for sale at car boots all second hand layed out on sheets most of em if not all are pinched ;) from vans broken into

Stolen tools ? Some one buys em

Seen pics of tools for sale at car boots all second hand layed out on sheets most of em if not all are pinched ;) from vans broken into

Part of the advice given in the letters I've had is to make tools 'less attractive to potential buyers'. Trouble is, once they're gone they're gone, regardless of how unattractive you make them. Doesn't help people like me who've had to fund another kit.

Sponsored Links
Bad news, must feel like a violation of your space / things. Got back to my car tonight, parked over the weekend in a public car park. couldn't remember locking it, but I had. Car untouched, but then it's not worth anything.

Bad news, must feel like a violation of your space / things. Got back to my car tonight, parked over the weekend in a public car park. couldn't remember locking it, but I had. Car untouched, but then it's not worth anything.

It does and that's the bigges problem, you don't feel like you have any privacy. I've learned to cope with the mental stress of it over time but when it was first done to my van I couldn't sleep for months and it's still a worry now that they might think to try the house.

That's aside from the fact I'd decided to treat myself to a nice motor that cost me a lot of money and they just had to go and **** the lock on it for me. Can't have anything nice. Trouble is the people doing it have never had anything nice to lose so they simply don't care to understand the damage they do to people.

Must be very frustrating / annoying / depressing. What's the point of working hard for the nicer things in life if some scrote just ruins them. Touch wood, never been burgled, but if i was, I wouldnt even want the goods back.

I reckon these scumbags drive round town in uninsured, unregistered vehicles and they have free reign because the police spend there time parked on motorway and dual carriageway bridges fining the decent folk for going a mile or 2 over the speed limit.

They would do better parked in town with ANPR scanning for untaxed, uninsured, unregistered and unroadworthy vehicles and fine their owners.

Last year I was first fined for speeding on a deserted dual carriageway, the police put a lot of effort into prosecuting me.

Then my car was hit and run by an uninsured driver in an unregistered car, I was given a crime reference and I bet they did **** all else.

The guy on the bridge that fined me could have taken the unregistered car off the road.

I have a friend who's mentle heath has suffered over this. So he take his van to work in case he can't park outside his house. He'll sit up all night watching it..

If mine was done it would finnish me.
I've got dead and slam locks. I'm told now they are going through the roof.

I think if you make it hard they will choose another easier target

Sorry Sam to hear your bad news

I think too that MP's, police, whatever just don't consider it important crime. Like burglary, shoplifting etc. All covered by insurance and there's just not the manpower anymore to cover this kind of thing in earnest.

The Police, the MPs and the Establishment are wrong. All crime should be punished. It need not cost much to do and there are plenty of Police available to do it - they are just not currently allowed to do it.

If you don't punish crime you get more of it.

The Police, the MPs and the Establishment are wrong. All crime should be punished. It need not cost much to do and there are plenty of Police available to do it - they are just not currently allowed to do it.

If you don't punish crime you get more of it.
There's fewer police than there were: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42977661
And do you remember these headlines? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-investigated-burglary-assault-a8002746.html

And totally agree, all crimes should be punished but sadly they're not. Frustrating and unfair for those people who just try and do an honest days work.

When I ended mt lease on a merc and then used my old toyota for a few months it was liberating - I wasn't worried about it getting kerbed, scratched, dented etc - the car didn't own me but then I wanted my creature comforts so now I am back to being owned by my car.

Sometimes the possessions do own you.

there are plenty of Police

Former Home Secretary Theresa May explained that cutting police numbers does not affect the detection of crime.

Hooray for Tory policies.

The fact of the matter is, you could double the amount of police but as long as they're sat in response cars and stations, they're not on street corners providing a visible deterrant. The way the current system of policing works, when you're calling them it's already too late and the damage is done. Useless.

That's aside from the fact Police as they are can only respond to crimes when they have happened, as as these crimes have very little to go on they know the chance of finding someone to answer to it is highly unlikely so just don't bother.

You occasionally hear of a haul of stolen tools turning up but even then, it's usually with someone who isn't out doing the breaking and tools will always sell.

In my case tonight, I don't know how long the lock has been the way it is because I never bother to lock it. It could have been done the day I bought it home or it could have been last night. I'd have to sit for hours or even days jogging through my CCTV recordings to try and find anything and my suspicion is they came from next door, which wouldn't be seen on the cameras anyway with how I park it.

At least they havent taken anything, just annoys me that the lock isn't good for anything now.

It has to be realised that some time ago the police were turned into glorified revenue collectors and political/corporate enforcers!

Apart from investigating very serious crimes, which would lead to serious civil disorder if not investigated, the general population is left on its own.
(I can't remember when I last saw a cop 'on the beat' in our area)

And although crime is steadily rising, the fact that levels are still lower than could be expected is probably down to the fact that most people are decent individuals.
One hopes that events and ever increasing hardship doesn't tip the balance!

Sponsored Links
Back