Dog 'business' area - best coating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a grim one this but in order to keep the lawn clean and the plants alive I'm going to be making a litter tray for my dog that I will sit round the side of the house on a tarmac area. Ideally the cheaper the better but I would like it to last and not

My current plan is to make a 1.2 x 1.4m tray from 18mm osb 3 that will be raised off the ground on runners (pressure treated etc), filled with gravel and drained via a 90 degree bulkhead and hose to the nearest drain.

I want to obviously coat the tray to protect it from wee, being hosed down and the elements but I'm not sure what to use a the moment - so far I've looked at the following (trying to keep costs under control:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Brush-Applied-Solvent-Free-Waterproofer-2-5L/p/164040

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bostik-Flexacryl-Instant-Repair-for-Roofs-Grey-1kg/p/164204

http://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone...p-proofer-waterproofer-dries-black-5ltr/36405 - not sure this is OK as it says ideal for indoor use?

I've also looked at epoxy floor paints such as the no-nonsense one from Screwfix or the Leyland but I'm not sure they wouldn't crack and let moisture through without glass fibre reinforcement?

Anyway - anyone got any recommendations - ideally I want something that is going to dry (i.e. not sticky) but remains flexible and chemically resistant?

Sponsored Links
Check out cromapol or similar products. Much easier to apply than GRP. Doesn't set solid like GRP tho so that may or may not be what your after.

What's the point of a litter tray if you can train the dog to use the tarmac area?

Sponsored Links
Good luck with that, our dog is trained to go in one part of the garden only, but she still chases cats and birds through the flower beds, occasonally digs the grass and sunbathes in the flower beds.

What's the point of a litter tray if you can train the dog to use the tarmac area?
He won't go on the tarmac area - he's been trained for years not to 'go' on paths etc. At our previous house we had an area enclosed with log roll and filled with gravel in a corner of the garden so we want to kind of replicate this but not actually in the main bit of the garden as the kids are 4yrs and 8 months respectively.

Good luck with that, our dog is trained to go in one part of the garden only, but she still chases cats and birds through the flower beds, occasonally digs the grass and sunbathes in the flower beds.

Yeah I'm not too precious about that - he is a spaniel after all so ploughing through undergrowth is just one of his things! I just want to keep the main garden free of waste.

How about getting one of those cement mixing trays from a builders merchant?

All ready to go then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back