Dog coats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they neccesary or are they just to make the owners feel they are looking after their animal. I've just seen a man walk down the road with a Cocker Spaniel in a pink fluffy coat. He looked embarrased and I thought why doesn't he just take it off the dog, after all it evolved for millions of years without pink fluffy fur

Sponsored Links
pickles said:
Are they neccesary or are they just to make the owners feel they are looking after their animal. I've just seen a man walk down the road with a Cocker Spaniel in a pink fluffy coat. He looked embarrased and I thought why doesn't he just take it off the dog, after all it evolved for millions of years without pink fluffy fur

:LOL: I agree - I don't think these things are necessary, but at the same time, the problem is that humans have interfered with evolution and tailor- made the dogs (and other animals) to suit their taste (i.e. little hairless things, etc). Also, we give dogs haircuts, etc. So perhaps there is an arguement that dogs now need extra protection against the elements, due to our 'stupidity'. We have also tampered with the environments - taken away natural environments for many animals.

For some strange reason, humans are fascinated by trying to give other animal's human traits. (e.g. make a parrot speak, get elephants to paint pictures, teach a gorilla the rudiments of quantum physics, etc ) :) We then think they are intelligent :confused: But............. surely the measure of intelligence should be the ability of a species to survive and evolve. So, with our 'so-called' supreme intelligence, we are actually placing greater risks and less likliehood on that species to survive? :confused:

It's a funny old world.

Live and let live (with the exception of things with more than 4 legs) :p

furcape_hat3.jpg

An Evolved Dog, Yesterday

We sometimes put coats (but not fluffy ones) on our dogs to prevent them from getting dirty when they go for a walk. It's far easier to wash a coat than a dog!

notb665
Yeah ..lol ;) we believe you , do they wear their ribbons in their fur as well ..lol

Gary_M

Planet of The Apes....The Beginning ..lol :)

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
notb665
Yeah ..lol ;) we believe you , do they wear their ribbons in their fur as well ..lol

Gary_M

Planet of The Apes....The Beginning ..lol :)

:eek: Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Good point though - so many other 'sci-fi' predictions/books written some time ago are now commonplace. I always wondered what that excess nasal and ear hair was - we are all 'on the change' ;)

Planet.jpg

Gary_M in 10 years :cool:

LOL @ Gary_M :) :) :)

good one .. LOL LOL LOL

I think Im turning into Uko the Gorilla one ..lol

Some breeds do not have a waterproof coat, therefore in the winter it is wise to cover them when its raining or damp, as once the coat is wet they will chill quickly and can suffer from hypothermia.

Before I read any of this, and just saw the topic title, I thought it was about dog coats in the same sense as mink coats.....

dogfur.gif
HScoats.jpg

ban-all-sheds said:
Before I read any of this, and just saw the topic title, I thought it was about dog coats in the same sense as mink coats.....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Isn't it just? I can't see him wearing it though - it takes me about 5 minutes just to get him into his harness. He knows it's OK and it means he's going for a walk but he's still afraid of it then the trembling starts when the lead comes out. God knows what he had done to him when he was a puppy :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back