Dog gnawed door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thank you for reading this post.

My dog got stuck in a bedroom and tried to get out by gnawing at the base of each side of the door frame. The damage isn't a lot but I'd like to repair it. I attach two photos.

What is the easiest way to repair this damage please?

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• WP_20180920_06_57_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180920_06_57_55_Pro.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 250
  • WP_20180920_06_58_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180920_06_58_04_Pro.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 235
Sponsored Links
Either use 2 pack filler and sand (edited to correct typo (y)) to shape

Or replace architrave.

The only way to do it properly is replace the architrave, if you cant get the exact ogee profile it needs all 3 bits replaced.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I repaired a few smaller bashes and dents in my MDF skirtings and facings (the same as yours) using Fastset - it's a fine plaster which is normally used for putting up coving etc - it sets quite quickly, is easy to sand back and shape, and sands well to a feathered edge. It won't be as tough as the original finish, and might crack if you happen to kick it or something (and a gnawing dog will easily make mincemeat out of it) - but 8 years on all mine are still perfect.
Sand your area with course sandpaper, apply the plaster over the area using a small trowel or a scraper (or a blunt butter knife for that matter), not worrying too much if it sits 'proud' of the finished surface level. Don't try to fill only the damaged bits - feather it out onto the good bits. Allow to set then roughly shape it with course sandpaper, then shape it better using finer paper. Using a sanding block ensures it's flat. You can build it up in layers, or add extra bits in if you don't get it right the first time.

I've had exactly this problem except quite a bit worse (puppy damage!)

I used ronseal 2-part filler - you need something like that as it's tough, a normal interior filler won't hold up on exposed door frame edges.

In terms of the profile of the architrave I took a mould of some good architrave higher up the frame by spraying it with hairspray then applying a layer of hot-melt glue over the top, let it set then use a drop or two of meths/isopropyl alcohol to release the glue from the architrave. Then apply the 2-part filler to the damaged frame and use the mould to press it into shape - you will probably need to give the mould a wipe over with wd40 before doing this though, allow the filler to cure at least partially before removing the mould - any rough or squished out bits can be sanded off once cured.

Chud, thank you for your reply. That's a clever solution. Even using hairspray! Thank you for the idea.

Chud, thank you for your reply. That's a clever solution. Even using hairspray! Thank you for the idea.
No problem - can't remember the name of the chemical but basically they use the same stuff in hairspray that is used in professional mould release sprays - just at a lower concentration iirc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back