Dog light - Dim light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got one of those lights that goes around the dogs neck for walks at night. It's working, but the light is really dim. Using rechargeable batteries. It takes 3 AAA batteries. There was some corrosion on the terminals - have scraped it off. And there was some that was a bit rubbery also. Is the light a goner? Maybe the batteries haven't recharged properly?

Sponsored Links
3xAAA battery?
Heck that must be a big light strung around the dogs neck?

I use those Green illuminated collars, change them every year (cheaper than replacing the battery).
I did consider an LED rope light or similar, with remote control all on a harness but that would have been too flashy :)

Sponsored Links
3xAAA battery? Heck that must be a big light strung around the dogs neck?
Regardless of how bright the LEDs were, depending on the LED colour you'd need at least 2 x 1.2V batteries, and quite possibly three, to get enough voltage for the LED to work (2 x non-rechargeable {1.5V} ones} might be enough). Admittedly, one could use things smaller than AAA (e.g. 'button cells').

Kind Regards, John

A lot of these dog collar lights use a 3v button cell.

I just put in 3 brand new Duracell AAAs, unfortunately the light is just as dim? Is there anything I can do to the terminals - wire wool maybe? I've already scraped at them.

Doubt it if you have cleaned them already.

Can you post a pic?

Thanks for the help. They look filthy! There was a crusty coating and a more rubbery verdigris coloured stuff as well? Hopefully it's just a matter of a more thorough clean? Is there a best method?

IMG_7056.JPG
IMG_7051.JPG
IMG_7050.JPG

Thanks for the help. They look filthy! There was a crusty coating and a more rubbery verdigris coloured stuff as well? Hopefully it's just a matter of a more thorough clean? Is there a best method?

View attachment 202801 View attachment 202802 View attachment 202803

You have your batteries in the wrong position, going by your previous photo.
The center one should have the + to the top and the two outer batteries have the + in the lower position. (Assuming the position of the battery holder in the bottom pic is the same as the position in the upper pic.

Forget that. Just studied the two pics and you have reversed the unit so it looks as though they are in correctly.

Not a lot, this one seems to be poop.
Get a newer brighter one.

To me after bright white, Green shows up best, 2nd is red.
The purple and blue ones that are sold are quite poor.

Not a lot, this one seems to be poop.
Get a newer brighter one.

To me after bright white, Green shows up best, 2nd is red.
The purple and blue ones that are sold are quite poor.

In that case I think there's any easy solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back