Doing as asked

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mailing list I am on screens incoming messages for words and phrases which suggests the message is hostile to a person rather than hostile to that person's opinion. Mesages considered hostile to a person are returned to the author with the trigger word or phrase highlighted for editing before they are released to the list members.
If there is a reasonably reliable way of doing it with an automated process then, fair enough, but I suspect that there are so many ways of expressing 'hostile' concepts that a human brain might be required.

Of course, there could be one or two people who believe that hostile comments can be justifiable, and therefore should not be 'censored'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I personally would be happy with any action which resulted in an end to all this irritating. distracting and damaging nonsense, even if there were doubts in some people's minds about how fairly the action was being applied. That might be accused of being a selfish and despicable attitude, but I participate in this forum as a 'leisure activity' and if (which I doubt) the price making it a pleasant experience has to be that some would 'unfairly suffer', then so be it.

Yes, shameful. Over the years/decades, I've seen many a situation similar to (or even worse than) what we have here, but what I have rarely seen is such a situation being allowed to persist for so long - so I suppose that I am also being a bit critical of those who own and manage this forum.

It does seem to be the same 3 things, amongst others, Transformers, Things in series and FCU's on lighting, that Winston seems to repeatedly pull people up on, maybe he has been warned, but i do think its about time he was more severely reprimanded to end this nonsense, maybe he could write something in the Wiki, pointing out his views and maybe just post a link to it each time, and spare us all .

Sponsored Links
It does seem to be the same 3 things, amongst others, Transformers, Things in series and FCU's on lighting, that Winston seems to repeatedly pull people up on, maybe he has been warned, but i do think its about time he was more severely reprimanded to end this nonsense, maybe he could write something in the Wiki, pointing out his views and maybe just post a link to it each time, and spare us all .
Yes, those, and a good few other repetitive bees in his bonnet. However, in the past, it has been mainly his repeated 'going on' about those things that has been the irritating problem (which, I agree, should probably have been 'dealt with' by the forum long ago). However, it now is not only his 'going on' that is the problem but, increasingly, the responses he is getting (from essentially just one source), together with associated posts complaining about the forum's handling of the situation.

I have to say that I really am tiring of all this, and therefore am again seriously 'considering my position' as far as participation in this forum is concerned.

Kind Regards, John

a mod said:
==============================
There is currently no mechanism to do that. ...
Have things changed, then? My understanding is that the forum did precisely that for a while last year to one of the current protagonists - and it was also my understanding that that (which was perceived as an 'interference with free speech') actually caused him to voluntarily withdraw from forum participation for a number of months. Is that not the case?

I would also be very surprised if the site's software does not include a mechanism for requiring moderation of particular member(s)' posts.

Kind Regards, John

MOD: Count yourself surprised. And another thread locked. Not your fault BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back