To Sunray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you a mod? If so are you censoring my post? We happen to live in a free country where people have freedom of speech.

You posted:-

"Winston please stop this rubbish you keep spouting.
The OP Knows exactly what he means,
I know exactly what he means,
Every other person reading this knows exactly what he means.
OP has probably learnt the term from professional electricians.
It is only Winston who doesn't understand what the meaning.
Some of the manufacturers even describe them as 'plug tops'.
Some of the wholesalers call them 'plug tops'.
Some of the retailers call them 'plug tops'."

You know this is not rubbish. You know exactly what a plug top is, the cover of the plug. You know professional electricians are wrong (I could even say idiots but I won't). Manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers are stupid and ignorant. There is no need for you to be.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cutting-plug-tops-off-for-flex-outlet-plate.543155/#ixzz6K0cmX6me

Sponsored Links
I am the moderator who removed your post. It was nothing to do with Sunray.

You do NOT have freedom of speech on my forum. If you post something over and over and over and over and over again, it spoils things for all the other users, and can often be detrimental to new users, especially if what you post is incorrect.

That’s just how it is. If you don’t like it then sorry, but no one is forcing you to visit this site and you have the freedom to not do so.

To all other users on this site, I politely ask you again to please use the alert moderator facility on any post which you feel is unhelpful or misleading so we can take the appropriate action as quickly as possible.

Do you not think that when posters continuously post incorrect terms and information they should not be enlightened?

Do you not think that when posters continuously post incorrect terms and information they should not be enlightened?
May be, but in your case it does not seem to work. We all make mistakes, I have made my fair share, and when the mistake it pointed out I admit it was an error, I said not so long ago that you could not work opentherm with multi wall thermostats, I was shown to be wrong and I have admitted my error.

That is the whole point of the forum, be it a typo error or any other, mistakes are picked up, and of course people have different ideas, they are not wrong but different, even to the meaning of a word, I think of decimate as to get rid of one in ten, clue is in the deci Roman for ten, others seem to use it to mean get rid of near everything.

I struggle on names some times, I know I should not call an isolation transformer a transformer as it does not transform anything, I know it is wrong name, but I still use it, as can't think of a better name that others will understand. Isolating inductance does not really work.

I know a lamp fits on the wall, and tradition says inside it we have a wick, mantel, or bulb, of course a bulb should be bulbous as the name implies, and a CFL is often not bulbous, but I still call it a bulb, as can't think of another word for it, which covers tungsten, CFL and LED, even CFL is not really a CFL it is a compact fluorescent tube, it is not the whole lamp.

But however much "I texted him" sounds wrong, you wrote to him using text, I have to move with the times, and use the names manufacturers stick on the box however much I think it is wrong.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have to move with the times, and use the names manufacturers stick on the box however much I think it is wrong.

Unfortunately the times do not always move in the proper manner, items are given incorrect names which soon replace the technically correct name.

Labelling a Switched Mode Power Supply as a transformer can mislead a person into thinking it can replace a wound transformer. In most cases a correctly selected SMPS can replace a wound transformer but the radio frequency energy radiated from the SMPS may cause problems. A wound transformer does not create radio frequency energy.

A desk lamp in a security gate house had a toroidal transformer supplying 12 volts to the incandescent lamp. The transformer was replaced with a SMPS. The RF energy swamped ( blocked ) the officer's hand held two way radio when the radio was placed on the desk next to the lamp. The lighting "engineer" could not understand the problem until the radio engineer from the comms company explained it to him

Are you a mod? If so are you censoring my post?

You know this is not rubbish. You know exactly what a plug top is, the cover of the plug. You know professional electricians are wrong (I could even say idiots but I won't). Manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers are stupid and ignorant. There is no need for you to be.
As you have already been informed it was not me who deleted your post and no I am not a Mod.

However if I were a Mod I would have most certainly deleted or censored many of your previous posts rather than argue with you.

As Eric has already noted the use of language changes over the eons and many words take on a new meaning, decimate is a classic example along with literally, inflammable, botched (and with that one even the spelling has changed) and a whole host of others far too numerous to list.
I often don't like it but I have to move with the times just like others, even the term 'Socket' is incorrect, you seem to have accepted that variation but not the generally accepted term 'plug top' which, incidently, I have seen used in an IEE publicity leaflet along with 'plug socket' many many years ago.

Manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers are NOT stupid and ignorant, they, just like everyone else, are moving with the times. They certainly don't want to get involved with litigation so generally ensure they are not ignorant of current requirements.

Within reason I do think people should be educated if what they are saying is confusing or wrong, but not when terms are in everyday use and perfectly understood by almost everyone.

I particularly think they should be informed when they are giving advice and it is clearly wrong as some of yours (Winston's) often is.

My thanks to Mod8 for the attention being paid to this and they way it's being dealt with, I have noted your comments and taken it on board.

Last edited:
you seem to have accepted that variation but not the generally accepted term 'plug top' which, incidentally I have seen used in an IEE publicity leaflet along with 'plug socket' many many years ago.

The clue is "many years ago" rather than recently. Perhaps they have learnt from their mistake.

Manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers are NOT stupid and ignorant, they, just like everyone else, are moving with the times.

Sorry, I disagree.

I particularly think they should be informed when they are given advice and it is clearly wrong as some of yours (Winston's) often is.

Examples?

I would maintain that for the general public in areas where the term is not used, 'plug top' would not be understood - other than to make them think of what it actually means; the top of the plug which has to be removed for wiring purpose.

Whether one is used to it or not, it is not beyond the realms of possibility to stop using such a ridiculous name.

There are also other regional names and dialect which are not understood elsewhere so should not be used on manufacturers' national advertising sites.

If it looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck and it walks like a duck - then it's a duck, even if it's actually something else, people still think it's a duck.

The term plug top is in common use, used by many.
Just because it may not be correct, or the current term that "you" prefer to use does not mean that it should not be used by someone or that you have to "correct" them.
And I can absolutely guarantee that you use an incorrect term for something, somewhere somehow... (I wont prove this, I wont even bother suggesting what it is) as everyone does.

If it looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck and it walks like a duck - then it's a duck, even if it's actually something else, people still think it's a duck.
Quite, but you don't call it a duck top.

The term plug top is in common use, used by many.
...but not by all. It might be by surprisingly few.

Just because it may not be correct,
(y)

I particularly think they should be informed when they are given advice and it is clearly wrong as some of yours (Winston's) often is.

Examples?

Here you go:

Sadly your advice is misleading. Anyone fitting a 500 mA fuse (next size above 0.43 amp) for a 100 watt bulb would be confused when the switch on surge blew it every time.

Do you still maintain that you are never wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back