Doing work on own block of flats to save money

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fed up with paying £525 every six months to a rip off property management company -Foxes and to then have tradesman come and rip us off as well. For example a part of the fence blew over and needs putting back with repair posts maybe three. The guy who gave a quote said could be a £1000. Although maybe £500 after haggling. I could so it myself and just charge for materials but concerns are- am I legally allowed? I have insurance but there seems to be rules around regarding stuff- for example the gardener told me he's signed a form to not cut above 3 metres . This seems ridiculous as a three metre hedgcutter when held up would reach five metres (without my feet leaving the ground). The whole thing seems like a scam.

People will default maintenance payments as many are basically skint. I'm a director and have spoken to the sort of head director and he's onboard with saving money but has said the lease has it written in that we must have a management company. We can change but he says it would be a battle to rid ourselves of these clueless rip off kids in suits completely.

Sponsored Links
People will default maintenance payments as many are basically skint. I'm a director and have spoken to the sort of head director and he's onboard with saving money but has said the lease has it written in that we must have a management company. We can change but he says it would be a battle to rid ourselves of these clueless rip off kids in suits completely.

Set up your own management company, do the easier jobs that you can tackle, get quotes for the rest. You need the agreement and backing of all of the residents though, before moving.

Sponsored Links
I've got a couple of mates that work for a property management company. I wouldn't trust them to hang a picture on a wall. They only got the gig because one of them is the Brother in Law of the bloke that runs the management company. Worryingly, they claim to be the best two workers!

I've got a couple of mates that work for a property management company. I wouldn't trust them to hang a picture on a wall. They only got the gig because one of them is the Brother in Law of the bloke that runs the management company. Worryingly, they claim to be the best two workers!

Yep, they are all mostly smoke and mirrors.

Well that was all nice and positive!

Yes, setting up your own property management has got to be the way to go, but make sure you have all the costs fully disclosed first.

I would be wary about letting residents do much of their own repair work, however, on the grounds that many jobs require individuals who by rights should be both competent and have had appropriate, recognised training (e.g. NECEIC or NAPIT certification for electricians, IPAF certification for powered access platform operatives, C&G or recognised equivalent certs for roofers, etc) as insurers can be lothe to cover work by person they deem to be untrained, inexperienced or unqualified. It may be worth casting about in your locale to see what trades are available and prepared to take on contract maintenance work and how much they charge as you may well want certain trades (plumber, sparky, etc) on a retainer and agreed rates. You may be able to find a multi-operative multi-skilled firm who are experienced in the field of multiple occupancy maintenance and whose charges are acceptable, but bear in mind that one man bands are generally unable to cover sick or holiday absences well and often struggle to "up man" quickly enough or even at all in the even of a major problem requiring diverse skills

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look at the first related thread suggestion at the bottom of this page, that alone answers any question of this mans ability:rolleyes:

You mean "Seeing what I am doing in a Mirror"? Which starts:
Keep missing bits when shave . Think there's not enough light. I put in a brighter bulb in ceiling light but still can't see properly
That's easy - get some glasses and/or grow a beard! :sneaky:

And I don't think it's always a good idea to do the maintenance on the block you live in - you can leave yourself open to accusations of corruption (overcharging, nepotism, etc) but also if anything goes wrong you'd never hear the last of it, or worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back