Money Saving Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a recession-beating post!

Maybe if there is plenty of interest in this topic, it could be made a sticky.

I am deciding to overhaul our out-goings in an attempt to reign in our spending.

Food prices are shooting up, our utility bills seem to have spiralled and we seem to have less and less at the end of each month.

We have three kids 9 & under, so our laundry bills are not cheap. I have decided to stop using the dryer (before we used to dry some stuff to make the house look less like a chinese laundry).

I am using less washing liquid. I have decided the soap manufacturers always suggest more than is necesary.

We are buying some Value/Basics lines like some cereals, bread and other basic foodstuffs where there is not a fantastic difference in eating quality between, for example, a JS basics wholemeal loaf at 47p and a Hovis wholemeal loaf at £1.59.

We are trying to train the kids not to leave lights switched on & those few lamps we have that are not low energy will be changed when the lamps I have in stock are used up.

I am experimenting with leaving the heating off altogether to see if we can cope.

We have DG, loft insulation & cavity wall, plus a spray-lagged tank.

The only other thing we could do is change the boiler for an A rated one (current one an Ideal Mexico circa 1982).

We use Madasafish for broadband (9.99/month), don't have sky/virgin only freeview and have a BT line. We have seen many special offers for broadband & phone, but they all include cable/sat TV which we don't want.

We both have Virgin payg mobiles, which we find a reasonable cost, as we hardly ever use them and rarely text either.

Whether food, utilities, broadband, phone etc.., it would be great if folk could post their suggestions as to how others could reduce their bills.

Sponsored Links
if you spend £2,000 having a new boiler installed, the gas savings will cover the cost in about 20 years.

We are trying to train the kids not to leave lights switched on

When you manage that can you send me the instruction manual. :LOL: :LOL:

The only money saving tip i can think of is don't spend it keep it.

Sponsored Links
Most 'main stream' supermarkets' Own brands are just as good as branded foodstuffs (I did say 'most') so it is worth trying to see which suits your family.

Fresh fruit and veg at Aldi and Lidl are very good bargains.

We have some very good farm shops in our area and the quality is five star with very reasonable prices because there is no middleman or warehousing costs.

We are trying to train the kids not to leave lights switched on.

When you manage that can you send me the instruction manual. :LOL: :LOL:

Perhaps an incentive like "Fail to switch off and you will lose a digit?" ;)

Most 'main stream' supermarkets' Own brands are just as good as branded foodstuffs (I did say 'most') so it is worth trying to see which suits your family.

Fresh fruit and veg at Aldi and Lidl are very good bargains.

We have some very good farm shops in our area and the quality is five star with very reasonable prices because there is no middleman or warehousing costs.

Yup. Our village borders farmland. We have farmer's markets in our village and two neighbouring ones. We plan to use these more than we do at the moment. There are also farm shops where you can get anything from a carrot to a puppy (although I wouldn't scoff the puppies even if they are a chaep source of meat...)

I am also deciding that if I do use shops they will be local independents or if I need a supermarket, the Co-op.

push to make switches and timers installed..? or PIR sensors, with light level switches..

Yeah, was going to install occupancy sensors, but cannot find ones that run 18W CFL's.

Also, my eldest lad's bedroom only has room for an architrave switch facing into the room and the youngest one has a wall-mounted shelf unit blocking the path of the sensor, so I'm thinking on that one.

ceiling mounted next to the light..

but of course, this defeats the object as much as the new boiler would.. paying out money to try and save a bit..

If you get a bit chilly watching the tele in the evening sit together on the couch and throw a quilt over your knees instead of putting the heating/gas fire on.
Walk to the local shops don't go by car.. Check your tyre pressures, wrong pressures can cost you money as well as being dangerous.
Shop around on the internet for cheapest utility providers/car insurance etc.
Can/will the kids have a shared bath/shower?
Same for you and the missus.
Will try to think of some more.

Get one of these ShowerSmarts, FREE:
http://shower-smart.co.uk/
Certainly save some water when you use the shower.

They come with a plastic bag with a measure mark, run the shower full blast into it for 5 seconds and make a note of the amount, fit the shower smart and try again.
You will be surprised how much water you save, therefore how much gas yousave heating it up. No noticeable loss of pressure either.

dave

Get two squares of carpet and attatch one to each of your feet.

It will feel like your whole house is carpeted at a fraction of the cost.

Nice one RF :LOL:

If you have a freezer and it's not full of food, fill it with newspaper to reduce the air and so keep running costs down.

Don't have heating on in rooms you don't use and keep doors shut.

Turn things off when not being used and don't use standby mode.

Look for BOGOF deals.

Make your own bread. Grow your own veg. Get some rescue battery hens, for lovely free range eggs as well as giving the poor things a decent life.

Slaughter one child, place in a smokehouse for a few weeks, cut slivers off the newly-created Long Pig as and when peckishness kicks in.

I can see this thread descending into a TOP TIPS section of Viz.... ;)

Anybody seen or signed up for any good deals for utilities & broadband / phone / mobile packages?

Sponsored Links
Back