Domestic Hot Water calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

I have decided to replace my boiler - I have a 2-bed 1-bath flat.

It seems that most Combi boilers have roughly the same CH output - say 24kW. The point being they are more than what most people need:- 7 rads in my flat. So it depends on the hot water required.

I have cold water mains input measured at 25 l/min at the cold tap (10 litre bucket filled in 24 seconds) and the pressure is above 4 bar when the pressure regulating value is opened.

So, in choosing a boiler based on the best shower experience possible, I have come up with the following calculations - do they seem to make sense please?!

Cold water input temp - say 10 degrees
Target showering temp - say 40 degrees

Say a 35kW boiler produces 14.3 litres / min with a 35 degree rise.

So, at the shower head / thermostatic valve:

Hot water - 14.3 l/min @ 45 degrees
Cold water - 2.4 l/min @ 10 degrees
Mixed water - 16.7 l/min @ 40 degrees

16.7l/min is a respectable shower flow rate isn't it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes, in the simplest terms.

You also have to add the shower itself and the hose/head into the mix as to what the max flow will be.

Most combi's coupled with a good quality thermo mixer shower and 3/5 position head, with your mains, will give you a more than acceptable shower.

It all starts to get a bit more complicated when you start to add high capacity rain shower heads and multiple body jets etc.

I've got a drencher head and don't like it. Maybe if I had a wetroom instead of an ordinary glass cube it would be more use. Water falling straight down on my head isn't as good as a diagonal spray.

Sponsored Links
Thank you - and agree - will keep to a single shower head. But again these seem to vary greatly!
I've got a drencher head and don't like it. Maybe if I had a wetroom instead of an ordinary glass cube it would be more use. Water falling straight down on my head isn't as good as a diagonal spray.

I guess it's a matter of preference. There's a company in America which has what they claim to be an authentic rain showerhead which seems to make drops of water from a trough built into the shower head and they fall with gravity as opposed to squirting jets / spray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back