domestic lighting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I call an electrician I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to solve a lighting problem.

Our downstairs lighting circuit tripped the other day and when I flicked it back on, one of the overhead pendant lights had stopped working. I replaced the bulb, and then tried 2 more, but it's now stopped working completely. The light is on a dimmer switch and has worked fine since I fitted the pendant lights a couple of years ago. Might the switch just have 'gone' somehow?

In a possibly completely unrelated note, a table lamp, plugged into a power socket, so on a different circuit, has also been playing up. The bulb popped a few days before the pendant light went. And now the new bulb has gone too, and the light has stopped working completely. I don’t know if this coincided with the downstairs lights tripping, but it’s possible.

Could the 2 things be related?

The only other info that might feasibly be linked to the above, is that I replaced two transformers for the kitchen down lighters last weekend that had stopped working (and hadn’t worked for ages – it’s a job I hadn’t got around to). I just made a straight swap for the non-working transformers, and the two lights are now working fine. The kitchen lights are on the same circuit as the one that tripped. Might the additional load of 2 extra 50w downlighter bulbs have upset things on the circuit? Seems unlikely but i thought i'd mention.

The electrics in the house are up-to-date and we haven’t had any problems before this.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Our downstairs lighting circuit tripped the other day and when I flicked it back on, one of the overhead pendant lights had stopped working.
That's normal.

I replaced the bulb, and then tried 2 more, but it's now stopped working completely. The light is on a dimmer switch and has worked fine since I fitted the pendant lights a couple of years ago. Might the switch just have 'gone' somehow?
Quite likely.

In a possibly completely unrelated note, a table lamp, plugged into a power socket, so on a different circuit, has also been playing up. The bulb popped a few days before the pendant light went. And now the new bulb has gone too, and the light has stopped working completely. I don’t know if this coincided with the downstairs lights tripping, but it’s possible.
Loose connection ???

Could the 2 things be related?
Unlikely.

The only other info that might feasibly be linked to the above, is that I replaced two transformers for the kitchen down lighters last weekend that had stopped working (and hadn’t worked for ages – it’s a job I hadn’t got around to). I just made a straight swap for the non-working transformers, and the two lights are now working fine. The kitchen lights are on the same circuit as the one that tripped. Might the additional load of 2 extra 50w downlighter bulbs have upset things on the circuit? Seems unlikely but i thought i'd mention.
No.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Coincidences. That's life.

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a switch to hand then as a test you could connect the switched live into the perm live side of the switch (after turning the power off of course), at least that way you will see if the light works with the switch out of the equation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back