Dont get sick

Sponsored Links
I think heads should roll and there should be a matron i/c of the wards.

Sponsored Links
Having read other reports from less sensational sources I'm pointing the finger at the junior doctors in particular and a complete cock up with communications in general. But apart from the problem that juniors are less competent than in previous years not a sign of a general problem in the NHS.

In the sort of business I work in, junior staff are supervised since it is anticipated that they will sometimes make mistakes or miss things.

If an inexperienced person makes a mistake, the supervising person is expected to notice and to do something about it.

If you have large, long-established organisation that hasn't got to grips with that, then I disagree. It IS evidence of an organisational defect.

If an inexperienced person makes a mistake, the supervising person is expected to notice and to do something about it..
And they did, but too late to fix it, because the juniors didn't raise the alarm in time.

Have read several times that some doctors in certain hospitals were so worried about patients becoming dehydrated, that they actually prescribed water as part of their medication.

I'm sure that if a vet failed to give an animal water or food, they would be in big trouble. For some reason, neglect of hospital patients, especially the elderly, seems to be accepted as just being the way things are.

This country seems to have lost it's way, and has it's priorities all wrong.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...y-doctors-had-to-prescribe-water-2289098.html

Nothing to do with why that lad died though, though I am sure a simple google search wouldn't have known either.

Essentially, this lad died because medication for an existing condition wasn't given. Complete cock up in communications but the juniors should have flagged this up on admission and ensured that everybody who needed to know did so. One of the first things you are taught when admitting a patient is to find out what drugs they are taking, in fact if you have only one question to ask, it might be that one.

I would also expect the juniors to understand the basics of sodium balance and to ensure it was properly managed, after all this stuff is taught in your first year of medical school. If it was going tits up, which should have been obvious, you step back and think about what is going on, and if you don't know you get help.

I can't believe this sh it!! Having to call 999 because request for water was ignored, whats wrong with this fooking country?

I am guessing he was Nil By Mouth as he was just post op and there is a picture of him with an NG tube in. I have no idea whether this was recent or not, but if recent it would point to NBM. They obviously weren't giving him fluids that way.

But the fluid balance problem was him peeing it out at a rate that was not acted on. Nurses should have flagged that up, but he was young so probably not considered neccessary.

Complete cock up of course, but poor medical care at the root of it.

Nothing to do with why that lad died though, though I am sure a simple google search wouldn't have known either.

Essentially, this lad died because medication for an existing condition wasn't given. Complete cock up in communications but the juniors should have flagged this up on admission and ensured that everybody who needed to know did so. One of the first things you are taught when admitting a patient is to find out what drugs they are taking, in fact if you have only one question to ask, it might be that one.

I would also expect the juniors to understand the basics of sodium balance and to ensure it was properly managed, after all this stuff is taught in your first year of medical school. If it was going **** up, which should have been obvious, you step back and think about what is going on, and if you don't know you get help.

It does say in the article that the lad died of dehydration. You have to think that a lack of water would cause that. ;)

If an inexperienced person makes a mistake, the supervising person is expected to notice and to do something about it..
And they did, but too late to fix it, because the juniors didn't raise the alarm in time.
Supervisers not giving adequate supervision, you mean? Obviously they weren't.

There must be some reason why you keep blaming the monkey.

The NHS is free treatment to all of Europe and half the world. No-wonder things go wrong - there are too many people playing the game.

It does say in the article that the lad died of dehydration. You have to think that a lack of water would cause that. ;)

Indeed it would. Or an excess of peeing. Tragic story but quite rare set of circumstances I would think. Would still have expected them to catch it.

Sponsored Links
Back