Don't Know How To Top Up Boiler Pressure :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a Worcester 440Cdi fitted end January. I noticed yesterday that the pressure has dropped down to nearly zero on the pressure guage on the front. In the manual it says it should be reading 2.

I looked at the pipework so I could add some more water to the system but I am a bit confused:

The pipe on the left is cold and there does not seem to be a valve to turn to let water in (the yellow lever does not seem to do anything)

The middle pipe is the only other pipe with some kind of connection on but that pipe is luke warm like the others. The valve is also really stiff and I can't turn it without considerable force.

Before I do anything, can I please ask some advice that I am actually looking at the right thing? Should I be turning the middle valve to let water in?

Sponsored Links
Dont turn them that you can see there.

Take off front panel to boiler, can you see a pipe that connects to the valve extreme left, then connects to valve second in from right, should have a pressure guage on it.

If so then this is the optional filling loop.

;)

Mmm. Ok, next problem. Front panel does not seem to come off! There is a screw on the left and the right at the bottom attaching the front panel to the side inside the panel which I can't work out how to access....

Also the boiler seems to be powered on although the heating and hot water are not in use. Is this normal?

I bled my bedroom radiator which may explain loss of pressure.

That looks normal.

Pull front panel off, held in place by retaining lugs, no screws to undo.

Look in your manual page 30 odd or 40.

Sponsored Links
I had a shower!

Thanks for your help. I found the instructions on how to get the panel off on Page 40 like you said. For the life of me, I just can't get it to budge. I have pulled then lifted and lifted then pulled but it won't move.

I will wait for my boyfriend to come over later, mabe it needs a mans touch ;)

Although I did note in the commissioning guide that it says the installer should show how to re-pressurise the system. He didn't do that (and I forgot to ask) so I will give him a call tomorrow in the worst case.

I had a shower!

:LOL: :LOL:

It does just pull off, the BF will be able to do it.

As you say you should of been shown how to use boiler and its controls, you should'nt have to ask. Cash must of been burning an hole in your installers pocket :LOL: :LOL:

;)

Hi clfs-gas, thanks so much for your help yesterday. My boyfriend couldn't get the front panel off either so this morning I called the installer. He came over this evening and used a screwdriver to prise it open from the top then lifted it from the clips at the bottom.

The instruction manual was not clear on this at all!

So he showed me how to fill the system. Looked quite complicated and I would not have got that on my own! So all fixed now and I know for the future how to re-pressurise my boiler.

Interesting picture.

To meet CORGI regs this boiler must have 600mm of level floor in front of it to allow it to be rolled forward (on integral rollers) for routine maintenance.

This one seems to be perched on a pallet?

I suspect the casing is warped due to insufficient support, making the cover misaligned and difficult to remove.

Hi,

It is all installed according to spec. I have a building control certificate and Worcester have also been out and inspected the installation. There is about 2m of level floor in front of the boiler. The case has not warped at all. It is only three months old! It is in the loft which I had upgraded in December (full loft conversion) with steel supports, insulation and proper flooring fitted.

I have to say that when I look at your pictures again, I am confused because these indicate the opposite.

The boiler appears to be raised on a wooden plinth, if you have pictured the front door. :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back