Don't know which way to go!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have started a small project amounting to replacing a Perspex lean too with a single skin extension ,the property has only been extended by 2.5 meters !! However building regs knocked on the door after wall had been erected and roof had been completed ,
Problem is we had to apply for building regs at £520 and now his advise is he's happy with the roof but he would like it underpinned ( it has been layed on a 4 ft deep 'slab where our patio lies then on a clay base soil . We are afraid underpinning will weaken the structure already standing .
We are wanting to ahead our way without having it signed off and just see if we can be forgotten in the system ,,,,,,, we are confident it's safe and we have no plans to sell.
Another option is that we declare it a 'shed' and move in through the back door as it were!!!!
Any advise appreciated ,!!

Sponsored Links
his advise is he's happy with the roof but he would like it underpinned ( it has been layed on a 4 ft deep 'slab where our patio lies then on a clay base soil

A four foot deep slab would not need underpinning.

Or do you mean it is only a concrete slab that is 4 feet in size?

It sounds to me, reading between the lines that you have built nothing more than a shed and quite poorly too. Surely you have not knocked through into the main dwelling?

If you haven't knocked through from the main dwelling as Nose has queried,
would you need building regs for what would be a shed or porch?

Sponsored Links
First off Thanks for replys . The 'slab' is 4 ft deep 12x4 meters ,It contains hardcore chippings and filled with concrete.
The structure has been up with roof on for about 18 months with absolutely no movement or cracks! Although it is a single skin block work we have built stud wall inside lining with celatex and thermaboard. ( space didn't allow cavity wall ) I'm assuming then so long as we don't make the final knock through it is not considered a dwelling area! ????

......unless they already have a doorway through with only an internal door separating the rooms.

......unless they already have a doorway through with only an internal door separating the rooms.

If that was the case, then surely it would still be a 'porch' (or a conservatory) as they would not have made the thermal situation of the dwelling any worse. All they would have done is to upgrade the 'porch'? Just wondering, though I'm probably missing something.

Anything cheaper than underpinning the thing!

We have started a small project amounting to replacing a Perspex lean too with a single skin extension ,the property has only been extended by 2.5 meters !! However building regs knocked on the door after wall had been erected and roof had been completed ,
Problem is we had to apply for building regs at £520
Was that about twice what it would have cost to do it in the right order?

Thing is, they know it's not a porch or conservatory, and so do you. So what made you think it would be a good idea to go ahead without applying for approval?

our plan was simply to upgrade what was part of the dwelling area which was a single skin perspexed rooved, wooden windowed, heat gobbling part of my kitchen which exsisted on purchase.(originally built in 1930's including said lean to) we initially roomed it off to save heat then figured we could utilise wasted space by rebuilding, As it is this small improvement will be better insulated and far more supported than the rest of the house. hence why i'm thinking i should accept i need to write it off as living area and it can remain and unused space . grrrr . thanks for everyones input though .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back