Door Casing and Skirting Board Cracking/Prep Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to start getting my stained 'orange' woodwork and door frames painted white. Several of the doorframes and areas where the skirting board meets the frames/corners appear to have cracked/shrunk i suspect due to age (theyre approx 20 years old) - see photos. What is the best way to fill/deal with these? Is it just a case of sand down, clean up and use wood filler? Are there any products best recommended? Also, what would the best method for painting these be to ensure they stay bright white? Would rub down, primer, undercoat, top coat be sufficient?

Thanks,

J

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG

Sponsored Links
Timber does not shrink lengthways, so I think yours was badly fitted from new.

For architrave particularly, it is cheaper and easier to pull it off and fit new.

Skirting is a bit dearer.

Thanks. All of the doors in the house are pretty much the same so i think filling might be in order on the door casings initially as I dont fancy changing 14 of them at the moment!!. Think a few skirting board replacements will be in order, however!!

Sponsored Links
Timber does not shrink lengthways, so I think yours was badly fitted from.
Sorry, but were that the case, John, mitres on architraves would always stay closed tight and scribed internal corners on skirtings, etc would not be necessary.

It’s all clearly shrunk on its width.Central heating will do it and most timber spends a lot of time outdoors during transit absorbing moisture even though it was kind dried at production.

Including the skirting? Personally I am inclined to think that at least some of the issues (on the mitres especially) might, at least in part, be down to dodgy fitting with poorly cut mitres, as John says

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back