Door entry system wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to try and avoid an expensive engineer cal-out if possible. I accidentaly pulled three wires out of a door entry system handset and while I've managed to get it partially working, I don't have every function back.

There are three wires, brown with white flecks, white with brown flecks and green.
The three points of contact on the handset read DL, PS and PL.
I currently have the white connected to green to PS and brown to PL.

I'm not confident swapping them around without guidance as I'm concerned I might blow something - am I worrying unnecessarily ?

I can currently use the handset to receive calls and unlock the door but am unable to 'Busy / Silence' it.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?
Thank you.

dscf0004tt.jpg

Sponsored Links
It would help an awful lot if you can tell us the make and model of the system!

Better still. When you find that out, Google it and add 'installation' to the search criterea
eg

"ACME JGL123 installation"

You then might find the wiring diagram and you can follow that.
The wire you have pulled out will go to the unit downstairs so you can easily find out how its connected down there.

Cannot see how they got pulled out unless you had the cover off.

Anyway, you may blow a fuse. This is obviously part of a communal system, and I cannot tell you what wire goes where as I do not know the colour codes used.

Got a friendly neighbour?
Ask them to let you open their handset up and write down the colour codes to the handset numbers/letters.

PS, if you do pop the fuses the whole building will have no system,

I was hoping someone may know from experience. There's no model number on the unit. All it says is URMET and a visit to their site, prior to posting, found nothing useful.

Sponsored Links
Cannot see how they got pulled out unless you had the cover off.

Yes, it dropped in the floor and the cover fell off. The wires came out when it got stuck on something. It was a messy job!

Anyway, you may blow a fuse. This is obviously part of a communal system, and I cannot tell you what wire goes where as I do not know the colour codes used.

Got a friendly neighbour?
Ask them to let you open their handset up and write down the colour codes to the handset numbers/letters.

Not really! But I'll try, thanks.

PS, if you do pop the fuses the whole building will have no system,

This is what I was trying to prevent. Cheers

Without knowing the colours used, and where we cannot advise.

Ok, understood, thank anyway.
I'll try and get a neighbour to allow me to pull their handset apart.

probably your best bet

If it's any help its an 1132/56 privacy kit

it looks as though the red led is on which means it thinks the door is open
so I would presume the connection to DL is wrong
the green led should indicate if the ringer is on or off

there is also a preconnected flylead from the back of the board to term 10 of the main board which I think is positve but havn't time to check as off out to pub but I'm sure the other lads on here will help

Matt

It is a positive.
Trouble is whats the other pair doing downstairs.
Hence the colour coding.

Thought it was a 1311 with a privicy pcb

A quick Google comes up with a lot of info including this which includes the maker's details

You're in luck, its in the UK, not China!

http://www.sourcesecurity.com/docs/fullspec/1132.pdf[/QUOTE]

That's not my handset sorry. This is my handset:

dscf0001nx.jpg

I just decided to take the plunge and connected the loose wire into the last slot. It is now working as it should, although the red light is on constantly and the green light illuminates when the privacy button is depressed. I presume this is some sort of error in the wiring but strangely everything, except the lights, works as it should so for now, I'm happy with this 'workaround' as a temporary solution.
Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back