door filler/disguiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I recently had carpet laid and had to cut an inch or so off two doors. On one of the doors I cut to much and ended up having to stick some of it back on with extra strong adhesive. Only thing is the crack/line where the join in in quite obvious and annoying me. What coul I use to disguise it is there some sort of wood coloured silicone or disguiser that I would lightly smear along the crack to hide the join and also a tad extra strength. Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys I recently had carpet laid and had to cut an inch or so off two doors. On one of the doors I cut to much and ended up having to stick some of it back on with extra strong adhesive. Only thing is the crack/line where the join in in quite obvious and annoying me. What coul I use to disguise it is there some sort of wood coloured silicone or disguiser that I would lightly smear along the crack to hide the join and also a tad extra strength. Thank you for your time.
What sort of door is it ?

Its just a standard sort of wooden front room/bedroom door. Was really quite tough and hard to cut with a 300w jigsaw. Its a pine/beach sort of colour

Its just a standard sort of wooden front room/bedroom door. Was really quite tough and hard to cut with a 300w jigsaw. Its a pine/beach sort of colour

ok- if it IS a solid wooden door--only option is to take door off-place on a level surface and sand it down with a orbital sander--until it feels level-and then to hand sand it with fine finishing paper until it feels really smooth .Next step is to continue using the finishing (smooth) sandpaper and sand down all other parts of the door withing a few inches- Then wash it- clean it and re-stain the door.
2 points though !! just how come you cut too much off ? and just how much extra did you cut off?.
Also- NEVER use a jigsaw to cut anything thicker than 20mm--UNLESS you have a really good tradesmans Jigsaw.
My guess is- your jigsaw blade 'wavered' ?.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it is a solid wooden door. I cut two doors both same size and go the same carpet in each room. One door went very well and the other I just asumed would need the same length cut off but it was about half an inch to much and looked stupid. I had to saw the piece of wood I originally cut off in half and stick it back on but like I said you can see the join

Yeah it is a solid wooden door. I cut two doors both same size and go the same carpet in each room. One door went very well and the other I just asumed would need the same length cut off but it was about half an inch to much and looked stupid. I had to saw the piece of wood I originally cut off in half and stick it back on but like I said you can see the join
Well- just take door off and sand it down-like I said .
Nobody will ever look at it or even notice --except- maybe yourself .
So- take it off and do a good sanding down job and then- even you wont notice --in fact- when you look at it- you will feel pretty good that you did such a good job of rectifying it .
Hey- we have all done it - so- dont worry .
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back