Door frame dimensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of door frames which are bent out of shape and so I'm bending and bashing them back into shape. My question is for a door of dimensions 762mmx1981mmx40mm what would the internal dimensioons of the frame be, so I know what I should be aiming for?

Cheers

JD

Sponsored Links
you dont normal expect to give the frame any attention !!!!!!

if its loose and out off line you can wedge and screw back into position

if the door frame is badly fitted or out off square due to building movement you aint gona fix without major work

Hi big-all

if the door frame is badly fitted or out off square due to building movement you aint gona fix without major work
Tell me about it, I have been struggling with it all afternoon!

I appreciate it might have been a stupod question really, born out of more than a little frustration. I'm gradually getting there, I've managed to lever the hinge side more or less into line, now I'm about to use my router to make the top square!

Sounds daft I know but I couldn't think of another way to straighten things up.

JD

eeehhhhh router no appropriate realy
you are rather going about this in an unusual way you should never remove material from the frame

as its probably only set back abou 6 mm and your going to have to move it any way why not take off the archatrave and have a look or is it an exterior door :eek:

Sponsored Links
you are rather going about this in an unusual way you should never remove material from the frame
I couldn't agree more, it'd be difficult to explain this one, but I couldn't see any other way. I've used a router to get the top level and now looks like need to fix in a piece about 1cm thick to get the gap right.

It's a frame which has been severely messed with in the past, due to settlement of the house when first built. Bits of wood added here and there but still huge gaps and crooked. I need to hang a new door and rather than chop loads off the door I'm getting the frame as square as I can first.

The architrave is already off, but I couldn't actually move the top piece of the frame without disturbing the plasterboard and timber above it more than I would have liked. The door frames upstairs in my house don't seem to have any lintels above them, just plasterboard on top of framing , even though all the walls are solid brick or block.

JD

why not start again with a new one, a lot quicker and neater

why not start again with a new one, a lot quicker and neater
Yeah I was going to go that route Thermo, I just wasn't confident enough. Plus it meant interrupting the day yesterday for a trip to a DIY shed. This frame is only about 9.5cm wide, would that be fairly standard?

In all honesty I've not done the best job here but I think it'll do the job once decorated.

JD

i take it your saying once filler and paint is applied you wont see it :LOL: :LOL:
if your going to replace the frame obviously do it before you decorate

and 3 3/4 inches is standard ;)

i take it your saying once filler and paint is applied you wont see it
Exactly!!
f your going to replace the frame obviously do it before you decorate
Too late unfortunately, already too far down the "bodging it" route :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back