Door image mock up, can I place handles in this position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace my old doors and have seen these doors from Wickes. They are 6 panel pre painted moulded doors (cheapies)

I know this probably sounds stupid, but I was under the impression that the door handles had to go in the lock block of the door.

In the images on the website the door handles are all above the lock block? Now if this is the ideal place then this would be great for me as the doors are replacements and currently if i was to use the existing latch holders (what is the correct name for these plates btw?) then my door handles would have to be above the lock block.

Here is a image to show my confusion more clearly

Can someone please just clarify that the website images are just mockups or can i really place the handles in this position?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Whoever created the graphics for the Wickes website obviously has no idea what a lock block is or about cheapo door construction. You won’t be able to mount door handles outside the lock block, there is nothing inside the door behind the 3mm patterned hardboard face to mount them to & hold them in place, just a narrow strip of wood down the edges of the door.

Thanks for the reply

That is what i thought ... i was confused becuase not only does Wickes show the handles in this position but also B and Q and others.

To use the existing latch mounts which are higher than the lock block on the doors i have seen do i have no choice other than to buy solid wood doors. Do MDF doors have the necessary strength in the frame to position the handles anywhere ?

Thanks

B&Q are owned by Kingfisher but Wickes are the DIY outlet for Travis Perkins, they probably just used the same knob graphic/web designer :LOL: .

Moving the mortise latch plates down in the door frame is not such a big job; if your confident enough to fit mortise latches in the door, moving the latch plates will be a doddle. I had to move all mine down the frames for the same reason as you, I just packed out the bottom the hole with a square wood plug & used a proprietary wood filler, sanded & re-painted you cant see it or the join; mine were all done around 4 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Moving and filling the old latch hole looks like the simplest solution... I was just worried it would look a bit messy - but i guess a lick of paint will soon hide the mess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back