Door insulation boards...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid wood door that is really pretty but not the most insulated so I was going to have a go at making it a bit warmer.... I thought about the following 4 steps

1) Ive got a good brush setup to install and that should reducedraughts around the sides
2) Some parts of the door are quite thin (panelling), so I was considering sticking some insulation in the recesses, and then perhaps putting something over the bottom half of the door to level is up and give some benefit. I thought Kingspan might be a good option, but figured it would end up with loads of dents, is there something more durable/tougher? Needs to be lightweight I would guess too.
3) I have a few glass panels in the door that I could double glaze, but it would be a big job so I thought I would just stick some perspex over and do a DIY double glazing... (also its lighter than glass) I could even leave a hole at the bottom so I can put in some silica gel and try and keep condensation away... If it builds up again I can open the little hole and replace a little pouch of silica...
4) Ive also found an insulated internal letterbox that I think will work well (magflap).

Would love to hear your thoughts on materials and recommendations.... Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’d be concerned about damaging/ disfiguring a nice wooden door by sticking stuff to it!

Can you do as described in 1 and 4 to prevent draughts, and then add a thermal curtain in front?

Hmm, you make a good point, but I would do it tastefully...

Given the age of the property I like keeping features, hence definitely keeping the door, but making a big effort to insulate, so we looking for some form of solid insulation board - like PIR insulation but less compressible...

Sponsored Links
I've double glazed panels in wooden doors before. Easy.

Measure the opening, subtract 5mm and get 12mm units made up (the thinnest double glazing you can get).

When you have the units, carefully lever out the beads, put in the new units on a bed of clear glazing (neutral cure) silicone.

I've found that the beads are usually something like 15mm X 9mm so I turn them the other way and then they fit into the rebate. You need a dab of filler in each corner as the mitres wont work right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back