Door opening onto 2nd floor landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having read old threads by cjard in 2009 and others here, am I right in thinking that building regs will not allow me to have a small door opening from the small W/C we are having on the second floor, into the hall way? It's going to be tight to have a door opening inwards due to the sloping roof otherwise.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply. Why do think it will be ok?

Also will it matter from a building regs perspective which way the door opens outwards (towards the stairs wall which is harder to exit or towards the bedroom door) and whether it needs to be a fire door? I believe it is only habitable rooms that need to be fire doors right?

Last edited:
Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply. Why do think it will be ok?

With regard to building regs, the way to look at it would be: why would it not be OK?
Can't see anything in the Approved Documents to the regs which would prohibit that.
If it was a public building, it would be different.
Maybe others will be along in due course to give their opinions?
It wouldn't need to be a fire door.

Sponsored Links
Just shut the door after you've used the loo (and have a fan with a suitable over-run)

Just shut the door after you've used the loo (and have a fan with a suitable over-run)

Yes I had planned to do that anyway. The reason I raise the question is because I've seen a lot of historical threads here that asked similar questions (perhaps more for a bedroom door) and the replies indicated that someone might get hurt or fall down the stairs if it knocked them whilst opening.

Obviously not the case here but just wanted to check.

Thx.

I think you may be getting confused with the door swinging out directly across the top or bottom of the staircase. Where it is shown opening out onto the landing is fine.

A bifold door will only protrude half as far out.

You have several locations with single ethernet points next to telephone points. It may be little extra work to install double ethernet points everywhere and send the telephone over the structured wiring system.

Have you considered a door with a 45 degree notch taken out of the top corner so that it can squeeze in to the roof without conflicting?

Ok so basically I can do it as I have shown in the revised illustration below?

OwainDIYer,
Thanks for your feedback. Can you expand further on your comment? I was planning on putting some 3-4 Cat6 cables to each room in the house to try and future proof it from the cables perspective, but cannot at this stage decide where everything should go, but just know that they need to be stuck in there before we close up. I read somewhere that it might be best to put 2 on either side of a wall in case furniture etc are moved around. I might use one of the Cat6 for a telephone run cable or maybe just install another telephone cable with it.

Have you considered a door with a 45 degree notch taken out of the top corner so that it can squeeze in to the roof without conflicting?

Hi

I think the door should be ok coming in and can be at full height, will have to double check. It's as it gets closer to the toilet pan where we will have to bend to avoid bumping our head.

I was planning on putting some 3-4 Cat6 cables to each room in the house to try and future proof it from the cables perspective, but cannot at this stage decide where everything should go, but just know that they need to be stuck in there before we close up. I read somewhere that it might be best to put 2 on either side of a wall in case furniture etc are moved around. I might use one of the Cat6 for a telephone run cable or maybe just install another telephone cable with it.

I've got 2 quad Cat5e in the bedroom, 3 quad Cat5e in the lounge, 2 double in the kitchen, 1 double in the hall, and working on the other rooms. All wired back to a patch panel and can be connected to the ethernet , the telephone exchange, or just used for direct connections for eg audio/vidoe or CCTV etc.

Hi

Am trying to send you a private msg, but I think you have conversations switched off?
I'd love to know more about your setup and what items you are using and where you got it from as it looks like I'm doing the same thing, i.e. bringing everything back to a patch panel (Node Zero for those of us geeks).

When you say 2 quad Cat5e etc etc, you mean 2 sets of 4 cables in the bedroom, so 8 cables? Why so many. I was thinking 3-4 in total should be enough, heck probably only use 1 or 2 of them and the rest for future proofing that room.

Also would you not have been better of getting Cat 6 cable?

Cat 5e can do 1gbps. I think that's enough for most homes at the moment, plus it's easier to terminate.

I have 4 points max (i.e. 2x2 in lounge, 2x2 in study, master bed and dining, plus 1x1 in other beds) plus separate telephone, as I'll end up with huge holes in the joists otherwise.

You can always buy a hub for local splitting at the TV or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back