Door scratching floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently laid an oak engineered floor, and very nice it looks too!

Yesterday I hung the door and today a small piece of grit has got trapped under the door and scratched the floor.

I have raised the door by a few mm, but is there anything I can do to stop it happening again?

Sponsored Links
How can it happen again if you have raised the door :confused: ;)
you could of plained the bottom of the door say 1/2" at least, then the only thing that could get trapped is pebbles :)

markie said:
How can it happen again if you have raised the door :confused: ;)
you could of plained the bottom of the door say 1/2" at least, then the only thing that could get trapped is pebbles :)

KOOzymod ,didn't hang the door right first time or the second time will he do it right the third time ,Oh by the way take the bit of grit that is stuck in the bottom of the door out :LOL:

It shouldn't have happened if you had installed a threshold underneath the door. If it is a front door, then I don't think you have left an expansion gap there - covering it with a flat beading = 4 -5 mm heigh strip or your existing frontdoor threshold isn't heigh enough which creates a rpoblem on its own: rain water coming in?

Sponsored Links
Just to check: Does the bottom of the door get closer to the floor as it opens? If so, is that because of the way the door is hung, or is the floor not level?

Ah - haven't fitted a threshold as yet to sort out the floor in the adjacent room. Will knock a few mm off the door to allow for the threshold and hopefully that will solve the problem - thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back