Door will not unlock on Hotpoint Aquarius washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door on my daughters Hotpoint Aqurius WMA 36 will not open. The machines spins and completes its cycle, but the door and spin lights stay on.

I have checked and the machine does not have any water in it has finished and the only way to open the door is to disconnect the plug from the door lock.t

Sponsored Links
Change door lock

That does not appear logical, as the door opens when the plug to the lock is disconnected. This would suggest that the lock is getting a signal from the control board telling it to stay locked, which would explain why the "spin light" is on as the control board does believes the cycle has not finished.

I should have mentioned that I have checked the pressure switch and can hear it clicking when I blow into it. Unfortunately I did not have a multi meter with me so could not check it electrically. I will take a multi meter with me the next time that I go to my daughters.

You should visit any search engine search reliable phrase for locks and change your lock.

Sponsored Links
You should visit any search engine search reliable phrase for locks and change your lock.

I know several places where I can buy the lock for about £18, but I do not want to spend my daughters money until I am certain of the solution and nobody has explained why the spin light is still on!

I have double checked the manual and the sequence is that the lights for the different parts of the cycle should go off when that part is completed. The last part of the cycle is the spin and therefore the spin light should go off when the spin has completed and then the door lock light should go off.

It would appear to me that the issue is that the controller does not believe that the cycle is finished hence the spin light being on and the door being locked.

The question is why does the controller not believe that it has finished the cycle?

Some lights stay on to indicate a fault code (can be a complete red herring at times as well though).

Door locks fail on these and can damage the board (normally visible damage on board if they do though)

Most common reason for door not unlocking is a failed door interlock as it is just a bi metal switch that heats up to lock machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back