door won't close without forcing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have rehung an internal door but it won't close fully without some gentle pressure being applied. I chnaged the direction that the doore opened so I had to chisle out for the hinges on the frame. I have checked the hinges and they seem to be flush with the wood and the door. I can't see an obvious problem with the hinges themselves. Can anyone offer some explaination or remedy?
Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Most common problem are the hinges, when you close it, have a look at the hinges and see if there is any movement, the other problem can be the hinges is not square or the door is biting on the door stop.

possible causes

door hinge bound--is there a2mm gap all the way round when the door is shut!!!!

hinges out of line --knucles not lining up properly causing the door creak and groan and only be happy around the point on the arc where the hinges where fitted

door getting too tight and binding on the doorstop or frame before fully closed[as masona says ;) ]

carpet or some other object getting trapped

wrong sized screws touching before the door is fully closed[on cheaper hinges mostly]

Sponsored Links
If you have turned the door completely around its probably a case that the leading edge is bevelled the wrong way on the hinge side, so dispite the fact that you have a 2mm gap visable down the hinge side of the frame, The other edge could well be binding on the frame?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back