Door wont fit anymore....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I waffle on just thought Id mention that DIY is not my strong point :oops:
Last year we had new floor covering put down and the firm that did it removed the internal door and didnt put it back as it would no longer fit because of the door plate. We were thinking of having new doors so werent bothered and the door was stored. We have since sold our house, never got round to replacing the doors and the buyer has now asked for us to put the door back on. We borrowed a plainer and took the required amount off the bottom of the door and put it back on.
Well it wont shut.... Its fine at the top but it wont fit into the casing at the bottom. Why is this? I have messed arround with the hinge screws but its not having it. Its only slight, hubby who is worse at DIY than me says leave it but its really bugging me.
I realise we should probably take it off again and take some off the bottom side edge of the door but is there a simpler way. Im sure it used to fit.
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
dizzy said:
Before I waffle on just thought Id mention that DIY is not my strong point :oops:
Last year we had new floor covering put down and the firm that did it removed the internal door and didnt put it back as it would no longer fit because of the door plate. We were thinking of having new doors so werent bothered and the door was stored. We have since sold our house, never got round to replacing the doors and the buyer has now asked for us to put the door back on. We borrowed a plainer and took the required amount off the bottom of the door and put it back on.
Well it wont shut.... Its fine at the top but it wont fit into the casing at the bottom. Why is this? I have messed arround with the hinge screws but its not having it. Its only slight, hubby who is worse at DIY than me says leave it but its really bugging me.
I realise we should probably take it off again and take some off the bottom side edge of the door but is there a simpler way. Im sure it used to fit.
Thanks for any replies.
Thats about the simplest way,unless it is very slight and right at the bottom of the door ,in which case you could use aSHARP 3/4"-1" chisel then clean it up with a piece of glasspaper

dont forget youve got the thickness of the door strip the thickness of the flooring plus a bit off clearance

if the door is binding in small areas and not in others on the arc place a piece of sandpaper on the floor where its not binding but around the arc
slide the door and sand paper round till it binds slightly stand on each edge of the sandpaper [rough side up ;) ] move the door to and fro till it eases off move till it binds again repeat and carry on till door swings freely

now this is only a short term fix as you need 2 or 3mm clearence to do a propper job ;)

ooohhh yeh your moving:cool: :cool: :LOL:

Might have swelled up slightly due to moisture in the air. I planed some sticky doors down in the summer, forgot to paint the edges though :rolleyes: and now it's getting a bit wet outside, it sticks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.
The door swings free until its nearly closed, then its 'tight' and feels like it wants to 'bounce' back. Its now the right length, its the width of the door at the bottom thats the problem, thats why Im confused as it fits fine width wise in to the casing all the way until the bottom 6 inches or so. Hope that makes sense. It only about a cm or two. Might have a go with the chisel tomorrow.
Watch DIY disasters, new post coming up...LOL :LOL:

aaaahhh its bouncess back could be hinge bound the screw heads could be protruding

is there a 2mm gap all along the hinge side when the door is closed !!!!
are the screw heads beneath the face off the hinges!!!!!

does the door touch the door stop at the hinge side at any point !!!!

Thanks big all.
Theres no gap at the bottom (hinge side) when shut so I presume this is why its bouncing back? Theres a gap the rest of the length though. I tightenned the screws at the bottom more than the top to try and 'bring it in' at the bottom to make it fit?
Looking at it now, it looks like theres no way it will fit without taking some more off the side :rolleyes: Big sigh!!
The damn thing must have swelled, mind you it has been in the loft for about a year. :oops:
Thanks again everyone.

all hinges should be fully tightened

with the door shut what is the gap on the bottom of the lock side!!!!!

if its 4mm or more you can pack out the bottom hinge with cereal boxes to average 2mm each side but you will have to pack out the hinge side more as its tight probably 3mm

but make shure you check its clear off the door stop hinge side as well

mmmmmm there isnt a gap!!!!! :oops: :oops:
Its like the whole of the bottom half of the door is to wide.
The top half of the door would fit IF I could only shut the door. The bottom half (lock side) is about 1 cm too wide :(
Planer or chisel ????

Sorry forgot to add........
Theres no room for adjustment on the (hinge side) bottom of the door either. Its touching the door casing when shut.

ok take the door out completly [leave hinges on the frame]

plane it to fit the hinge side so theres no gap and plane the lock side to 4mm then give it a slope on the leading edge[take an extra 1.5mm off the edge on the lockside as the door first enters the frame]
hang with 2 mm all round packing the hinges as required to give 2mm gaps

if its only the bottom thats tight suspect its dampness swelling the bottom of the door and or frame

By slight I thought you meant 1or2mm NOT 10mm,Don't try and chisel this amount off might pay to check to see if the door lining is lose at the bottom ,you never know

Thanks everyone.
I feared it would have to come off again. Ah well. Job for the weekend.
Whats easy for some is a nightmare for others...LOL
I now understand why its expensive to pay for doors to be hung.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back