Doorbell and Transformer Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install the Ring Doorbell Pro to my property that currently has no hard wired doorbell.

The easiest route for running cable seems to be from the lighting circuit in the loft, down the cavity, to my front door.

I believe i need 18 gauge cable for the doorbell to the transformer, but i'm assuming i cannot use that same 18 gauge between the light switch to the transformer?

If not, what cable should i be using from the switch to the transformer?

Other than the cable, i'm assuming that everything else i am doing is an acceptable electrical process.

Any advice greatly recieved!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So 18 gauge, but double insulated?

Also, how do i know if the transformer need to be enclosed? The transformer was supplied with the Ring doorbell and is a DIN mounted type.

The Ring transformers I have seen for DIN-rail mounting DO require an enclosure. IIRC the enclosure needs to be 2-module, and these may be obtained from Screwfix, TLC, CEF and Toolstation among others. Search for "2-module DIN enclosure".

18 gauge by itself is meaningless. Could be 18SWG (standard wire gauge, a UK standard), or 18AWG (American wire gauge). They are different sizes.

18 gauge by itself is meaningless. Could be 18SWG (standard wire gauge, a UK standard), or 18AWG (American wire gauge). They are different sizes.
Indeed, and although the former is about 1.17mm², the latter is only about 0.82mm².

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all, you have been really helpful and certainly taught me a thing or two!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back