Doorbell switches lights off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When decorating stairs and hall in my flat, (I moved in about a year ago and I've just located my round tuit) I noticed there were two doorbell wires running down to the front door. One had been cut and was not connected to the doorbell switch.

I traced it back and it disappeared into the loft, where I found that it disappeared down into the cupboard at the top of the stairs, which holds my consumer unit. It disappears behind the consumer unit.

I decided that it wasn't necessary so I went to cut it, and all my lights went out, accompanied with a relay like buzzing sound. I let go of the cutters and the lights went back on.

I discovered that when the ends of the wire are shorted, the lights go out, which presumably would happen if the wire was connected into the doorbell switch.

I did a search on the net, and it seems this is a method to alert the deaf when the doorbell is being pushed.

Does anyone think this is what I have. It seems a bit crude, as the wire just disappears behind the consumer unit, and if all the lights are off, they don't come on when the wires are shorted, so you wouldn't know.

Would it be safe to get rid of?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be a hoh (hard of hearing) doorbell alert system.

I am hoh, and fit systems like that, but mine have an selv (12V) circuit that flashes orange lamps when the bell rings.

When you say "the lights go out", do you mean they temporarily turn off, or does the mcb/fuse trip?

If the mcb is not tripping, there must be a relay of some sort that disconnects the lighting circuit when the bellpush is used. I do find it a little odd, though. Imagine being elderley and not very able-bodied, it's pitch dark and someone rings your bell, holding their finger on it for a few seconds....hmmm

I can't say for sure, but if this is a kind of alerting system, I would say it is safe to remove (but disconnect the power first).

If the systems I have fitted are anything to go by, there should be a control box somewhere, with the bellwire attached to it. Usually this is near the consumer unit.

Try tracing the bellwire to see where it goes......Bon chance!

The lights temporarily go out, as long as the wires are shorted. No fuse blows, and when you break the connection the lights come back on.

It seems a crude system, because if all the lights were out anyway, you would be no better off.

Makes me think it's been cobbled together, rather than professionally installed.

The bellwire just disappears behind the consumer unit, and I'm too scared to pull too hard on it!

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
If the mcb is not tripping, there must be a relay of some sort that disconnects the lighting circuit when the bellpush is used. I do find it a little odd, though.
Yes you're right,what suppose to happen is when the bellpush is used,the lights should be flashing and not turn off,I'm not a electrician so I don't know how the system works,maybe a flashing unit if any, faulty?

I believe these type of system are not use anymore.

its connected to a relay. trouble is the way it sounds that it is wired if you do find it and disconnect it your lights will not work, unless you reeire to allow you to remove the relay

for the technical minded :eek:

relay goes closed when wires connected, therfore relay conatcts used are normaly closed.

removing relay will remove normaly closed link so lights wont work (unless as menioned rewired)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back