Dorman Smith 3871?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just wondering if anybody could help me out?

The dorman smith 3871 Types 1-4 circuit breaker are they acually legal to use? as im trying to do a little research on them. Is there any thing in writing to say they are not safe? In my experience with them i have found them not to trip under fault conditions. Any one else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
Is this genuine research or are you just trying to justify using some old equipment on a new job?

I'm not being funny - just curious

The company im working for use them in 10kva transformers! was looking for a little amo. I know they are not safe have seen it for my own eyes. Just wondering if there is any documentation that any one has seen?

Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact figures for types 1 - 3, but type 4 require 50 times nominal current rating for instantaneous trip.
Good for loads with high inrush (eg trannies) but could be a problem for circuits requiring fast disconnection.
Not sure of the implications of using old BS mcb's but as long as circuit fulfils Zs for device (for required disconnection time) then I can't see a problem (I await correction ;) )

Sponsored Links
You would also have to ensure the loop was low enough for the particular breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back