Dormer Build .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where I can get info on how to construct a Dormer .
Drawings of woodwork etc would be good or video even .

Looking to get a price for front and back Dormers soon ,and would like to know whats involved basically ,so I know where the money goes .

Many Thanks if you can help .
Regards
Rob.

Sponsored Links
Rob,

I was looking for the same thing this time last year but couldn't find anything. I eventually designed as i thought was logical and when the builders built it the design was pretty similar so i couldn't have been far wrong.

Suppose complexity depends on the type of dormer you're building and the existing roof.

Thanks for replies fellas .
I guess each one is different so i will get some drawings done I think.
Regards
Rob.

Sponsored Links
Shytalkz ,I am looking at the big Dormer ,front and rear .
Any more diagrams of them fella ??
Many Thanks
Regards
Rob.

I've got one on here somewhere, but can't remember the job atm.

It's a variation on a theme though: you'll probably need a ridge beam, depending on the dimension between front and rear dormer walls and whether or not they line up; dormer stud walls will be 50x100C16 at 400 with external ply sheathing, overclad with whatever finish you choose; dormer rafter size will be dependent on spans; floor joists will need beefing up, depending on span and what internal walls can take the load. If you only had a rear dormer, you may well not need planning permission if it comes within PD limits, but you will if you want one on the front, so you'll need drawings anyhow.

No, I guess not, wot wiv not having a first in building engineering etc :)

That Google link is excellent.

I am doing similar to Rob, putting a shed dorma on the back of my house.

Has anyone got advice or a link on what size the floor joists need to be beefed by and what size the rafters should be for a new dorma.

Can the roof pitch of the dorma be pitched back to the apex of the existing roof as it will mean I dont need ugly guttering.

Do tou guys recommend zinc for the gable ends.

Whats the minimum pitch of the Dorma Roof

What are notched studs

Does this type of build need palnning permission or can it be done on notice to get the certificate from the BCO.

Would you guys recommend an experienced DIY 'er doing this job or is the framing out a job for a pro.

Lots of Questions

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back