Dormers

I see what you mean, although it does look more substantial in the flesh, I'll find some more "old" timber and add it so it looks more the part.

Sponsored Links
I'd now get a bit of wood the same size as the original missing bit, insert it at the edge of the gap and knock that stupid little bit out leaving the correct size bit in situ.

I see what you mean, although it does look more substantial in the flesh, I'll find some more "old" timber and add it so it looks more the part.
Or some ply or OSB, shrewdly cut as a mask and fixed, and a suitcase or box of Christmas decs in front for good measure.

Today's version - big lump of 7x3 from my firewood pile.

IMG_20221007_165429023.jpg

IMG_20221007_165727505.jpg

I'm trying to avoid anything new looking like OSB as I want it to look like it's been there for years, a bit of black paint will sort out the new bolts - we have to answer that "any dodgy building work" question on the search form.

It's all really silly - until we cleared out all the Xmas decs etc you couldn't get anywhere near that area. Estate agent says that most of them have no access to eaves - unfortunately my late father cut a door, boarded it and even put a load of lights in!

The original buyer has come back onto the scene today - apparently still interested, not wanting a £20k price reduction but just wanting a bit of reassurance that the dormers won't collapse next week.

I'm going to meet her, so I'll get a proper look at the report and if the only other issue is the two beams being potentially overspanned, and I think it will convince her that everything is in order, I might offer to install a couple of flitch plates.

Sponsored Links
Looks ok to me. As you say, old wood doesn't draw attention.

So the buyers came round again. It's two women who while not being builders seem fairly sensible, they don't have a problem with most of the report - ancient wiring, heating system, asbestos garage etc and desperately want the house but are absolutely terrified of the word's "structural issues" and "£20,000 repair bill".

They're very protective of their report but read some bits out - the Chartered Surveyor (apparently with 40 years experience) is adamant that the beams supporting the floor are sitting on the original ceiling joists - and their deflection has caused cracking of the plasterboard joints in the ceilings below. Personally I think they should ask for their money back, I can get my fingers under that beam:

IMG_20221009_131430827.jpg

However, I can't argue that the beam isn't slightly inadequate and I can see a bit of floor dip across the spans so I'm going to flitch the two beams.

The other mentions were deflection of the hip blade - presumably due cut off purlin which I presume would have originally cantilevered over the pier and supported it?

IMG_20221010_162504783.jpg

I'm guessing this isn't acceptable? I could span two wall below with a 3m steel and prop the end of this up.

The other thing was deflection of the roof of the rear dormer -

IMG_20221012_150003732.jpg

This is nearly 25mm mid (2.4m span), obviously not helped by the plastic windows - I think I can get the fascia board off, jack it up and strengthen with some angle iron.

I've told the buyers I'd flitch the beams, I'm also going to do the dormer roof and unless anyone thinks it's not necessary, prop the purlin/hip blade.

They have agreed to pay for a structural engineer to inspect afterwards which will hopefully have a more positive outcome.

I know it's a lot of hassle but the buyers are pretty much ready to complete, as is my mum on the new house and we just want it gone.

A bit straighter now:

IMG_20221019_152043257.jpg

The angle iron has deflected a little bit more than I would have liked but it was what I had to hand that I could manage off a ladder. I was able to trim the piece of timber between frame and joists to allow the frame to be pulled up perfectly level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back