Dot and dab boards onto brick schoolboy error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just looking for some advice from more learned people really.

I recently plasterboarded the porch with dot and dab, and some of this went straight onto single thickness red brick but I just didnt think about damp proofing.

My question is should I just bite the bullet and rip it all off to tank the brick work and then re-do the boarding job? Or should I pretty much ignore it until patches start to show up and rip it all off and start again then? Is it a certainty that damp will appear?

The second option at least gives me some time to enjoy plasterboard A before replacing it with plasterboard B but will this actually make the replacement job worse? Or just postponed?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Although it isn't ideal I suspect you might get away with it as it's in the porch.

Most of the time the damp would be caused by condensation forming on the cold spots where the dabs are. However as your porch is unlikely to have much condensation in the air (assuming you dont sleep in it after a night out!) then you may be OK.

Personally, I'd see how you get on and then decide in a year if it needs redoing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back