Dot and Dab Tiles in Shower Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

We recently had a new bathroom fitted. After five months, a couple of tiles have blown in the shower area and water has penetrated the wall into the airing cupboard adjacent. The wall is sitting directly on a joist (running in the same direction). There are hairline cracks in the kitchen ceiling below which suggests movement in the joists. This could be the cause of the issue as there are hairline cracks in the grout lines in the shower possibly caused by the movement.

However, when the bathroom fitter returned to inspect, he stated that he had dot and dabbed the tiles. Additionally, I don't think the shower area has been tanked as the tiles were installed directly onto bonding.

So, regardless of the cause of the issue, it is apparent that the tiles in the shower were dot and dabbed straight onto bonding with no tanking. I presume this wouldn't confirm to British Standards?

The bathroom fitter is returning shortly to remove the blown tiles to allow the wall to dry prior to re-tiling. However, I foresee the issue reoccuring.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
No it does not conform and depending on the size of the tiles could actually be quite dangerous.

Nor does no tanking even on residential shower areas under the latest standards, where it's now reccomended in 6.1.,1.3.

Pictures would help.

You could find that your home insurance is not valid if the standards have not been followed.

Thanks Swwils. There's not much to show with regards to pictures as the tiles are still intact. The bathroom fitter has covered the grout lines with silicone so that the shower is still usable in the interim. The tiles are large: 600mm x 300mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back