dot and dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I,m about to plasterboard a room with 9ft high walls intending to dot and dab. Due to difficult access i will have to use 6x3ft boards which means walls are more than one board high. Will it be a problem to fix the top boards to the wall or will the adhesive have sufficient grab. Also how long does the adhesive take to set once applied to the wall and how long will i have to get the boards plumb and level. Any advice on how to keep the boards flat across the whole width of the wall as the brickwork is very old and uneven perhaps string line or something.

Sponsored Links
dry wall adhesive is very dense, so holds its plasticity quite well and for a surprisingly long time.

you are best using a 2400mm straight edge or featheredge and don't bash the boards back too far too soon. get the first couple upright floor to ceiling, and use the straight edge to range them horizontally down the wall. previous boards should still be flexible enough to be adjusted to suit if necessary. provided your not having a lunch break mid-wall. ;)

having someone to mix the muck for you would help. it needs to be the same consistency as room temperature butter. not so stiff as you can't use it and not so wet as to slump down the wall. damping the wall helps too. this may have to be done more than once.

good tip for dabbers:

never mix old muck with a newly mixed batch. always use what's on the spot board first or chuck it away.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back