Dot and dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two questions please.

I have a 7ft x 15ft upstairs room in my 1930s house which is a single skin brick extension with external render. Following various internal mods (holes in ceiling to access and replace old wiring, new UPVC window, take out fitted cupboards etc) internally its a mess. Rather than just replaster, I was advised to line walls to improve insulation. I bought in a load of plasterboard intending to dot and dab. Reboarding the the ceiling was straightforward, but I now have a problem with the walls.

Question 1. All my remaining plasterboard is foil-backed. Can I use it to do the walls; I really dont want to waste it. Can I use the Wickes plasterboard adhesive or is there an alternative?

Question 2. If you think I can dot and dab (and fix) the foil-backed boards, is it likely that I will have a condensation problem?

Sponsored Links
your best solution is to build an internal stud wall complete with vapour barrier, breathable membrane and full fill insulation.

foil backed boards (duplex) are not suitable for dabbing.

as said foil backed isnt sutibel for dot and dab and unfortunatley it isnt going to provide you with any insulation benifits though the room will warm up quicker.
i recomend you purchase new celotex or kingspan backed plasterbord 50mm insulation 12 @£40 = £480 not cheep but quality job
fix tanalised laths to your walls and then fix new bords to them though you could dot dab them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much to noseall and markthebuilder for both your helpful replys.

I've used builders to do so much work on our house over the last 12 months, and waved goodbye to so much dosh, I just wanted to do at least one small room myself. Im sure - in fact I know they used the same sort of foil boards for some internal stud partition work. Im quite a competent DIYer and think this is within my capability to do the actual work here, clearly I goofed on choice of materials.

You have given me two alternative suggestions. I think I need to cost up the job again - hmm...now what can I do with a dozen sheets of foil-backed board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back